Questions regarding BuMED physical denial
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Questions regarding BuMED physical denial

Hi all!

I was a 26 year old USMC OCS hopeful until yesterday. My OSO had submitted all medical documents to MEPS and they denied me a physical. He then submitted a request to BuMED to try to get me a physical, but yesterday morning, we found out that, that too was denied.

I am grateful that BuMed cited the reasons for their denying a physical. The two reasons they cited were my one time hematuria (2012). We submitted the doctor's reports and the condition was due to known and preventable causes. I hadn't drank water all day, went for a run at 10PM, my bladder walls chafed/ rubbed together as one's thighs might and caused bruising and bleeding. Two CT scans showed that and nothing else. It has never happened again.

The second reason they cited was my shoulder. I had shoulder surgery last October (2015), to remove a bone spur that was rubbing against my rotator cuff. It wasn't to repair or fix anything; literally to "file down some extra bone" (as the surgeon described). The surgeon handed over all documents, and a note saying I was cleared for all physical activity. I understand this, as this surgery was more recent.

However, is there anything I, as a civilian and hopeful can do to get around this, to at least get a MEPS physical so that a waiver may be submitted? My OSO seemed genuinely sorry, and I am forever grateful for his efforts and those the GySgt.

Technically, since I was never even set foot in MEPS to be DQ'ed (they DQ'ed me without seeing me), is there any way I might be able to try to get a different BuMED from another branch to grant me a MEPS physical? Medical standards are standards, but I heard that different branches are under different BuMEDs (correct me if I am wrong?), and so while the USMC might deny me a MEPS physical, might BuMED from the Army grant me one?

My second choice is the US Navy, but I'm thinking the USMC and Navy are under the same medical bureaus so that might be a no-go.

I apologize for the novel, and I appreciate any feedback/ advice/ insights!

Thank you!