Needing some advice
Create Post

Needing some advice

Hey my name is Angel and I'm supposed to be leaving for boot camp in October and idk I've wanted to be a marine since I was in 5th grade watching the Paris Island special on the history channel. Here lately I've had constant thought going through my head. I don't know if I'm getting nervous about going because what if I don't make it through and fail? It's not that I know I'm going to fail boot camp or anything it's just a stupid though that keeps going through my head then I have my fiancé. I'm ready to go but at the same time. I know it's a big step stepping foot off the bus and going through boot camp and once you make it through you in a whole nother life style. I'm just worried what if she dosent like the life style or what is the possibility of things in life that I'll miss for living a military life instead of a civilian life. I could just use some words of knowledge to help my overcome these thoughts that I am having.

Similar Threads:

Despite what you may have heard, the system is designed to make you a Marine, not to wash you out. You've got the jitters, which is understandable, but if your reasons for enlisting are good ones, and you truly want to earn the title, you'll be fine.

What you need to do is concentrate what is on this side of the fence when you get to the MCRD. In other words, get in, do your best. graduate and don't worry about things you won't have control over anyway....

Good Luck

I remember the pre-bootcamp jitters. Acknowledge the fact that you are literally entering a new world, and your life from this moment forward is going to be vastly different than before. In retrospect, boot camp feels like it was all a dream. That's how different it is. Afterwards, you'll start to feel more like a human again. You'll still be the same person, mind you, just a better version of yourself.

The isolation, exhaustion, stress, and anxiety you'll feel during boot camp will put things into perspective for both you and your fiance. It will test your relationship, and if you both make it through, then you know you've got something worthwhile. If not, your marriage probably wouldn't have lasted through tough times. Consider this as a proving ground for yourself and your relationship.

Good luck.

These Marines are on the mark - this kind of nervousness is good and healthy. I'd be more concerned if you didn't have the jitters. Your first days-weeks at Parris Island will be confusing, disorienting, and stressful -- because they are designed to be. Just stay focused, stay aware, and know that you can do - don't allow doubt to creep into your mind.

Regarding your fiancé - did she know about you wanting to join the Marines when you got engaged? If so, then she's on for the long haul. If not, then you need to decide. If you think she may leave you because of the military lifestyle, what makes you think she won't leave you for other reasons if you don't go in? Discuss this with her now, before it becomes an issue - open communications will be essential if she's going to be married to a Marine.

Good luck!

Thread Information