Nrotc Essay
Create Post

Thread: Nrotc Essay

Nrotc Essay

Applying for Marine ROTC, and would really appreciate if yall looked over my essays.

1. Discuss your reasons for wanting to become a Marine Officer. Specifically comment on leadership positions you've held, the challenges you have faced and the lessons you have learned. (Limit 2500 characters)

As a kid I idolized the Marine Corps, they are Americas most elite fighting force, they are held to the highest values, they are the toughest and strongest people both mentally and physically. I understand that freedom is not free and that the only reason that we have options that we do in America is because there are men and women out there defending our nation from foreign threats. When I told my parents I wanted to enlist in the Marines, they were scared at first because they knew it is a dangerous job. But my parents also understand the importance of the Marine Corps and all the values it instills, so they told me I need to be an officer so I could utilize my leadership skills. Having two younger sisters and a father who travels for months at a time for business I was forced to be a leader from a young age. My sisters taught me that it is important to have integrity and be a good role model because I never knew when they would be watching me and trying to be like me. My father being gone a lot when I was young taught me to take care of myself and others, making my sisters lunch and taking care of them while my mother was busy. As I entered high school I started to be a leader for my friends who were making bad choices and learned how to persuade them otherwise. My sophomore year one of my best friends started doing lots of drugs, and I tried everything to get him to stop. Eventually, I realized no matter how hard I tried he was not going to get better. Instead, I had to inform his parents of what was happening, and they got him the help he needed. Through this situation, I learned that sometimes I cannot fix a problem on my own. In high school, I have been the president of clubs, on student council, and on the Senior Leadership Team. These experiences taught me how to speak in front of large crowds and motivate people and also taught me how to communicate with the chain of command at my school, to do a fundraiser or add another school dance. This coming year I will be the captain of my Lacrosse team, and we currently have no coach. So my friend and I have taken it upon ourselves to lead summer and fall practices, so we got our team involved in a summer indoor lacrosse league with games twice a week and I am looking at tournaments for the fall. All these experiences have taught me how to be a better leader, and if I am granted this ROTC scholarship I know it will provide me with even more skill so that I can be the best Marine Corps Officer possible.

How might your background and experiences enhance the U.S. Marine Corps? (Limit 2500 characters)
    2. In the third grade, I was the only American in my class. Growing up abroad taught me many things such as how to adapt to new situations quickly, how to start over, how to be a role model for my sisters, and that all people are worthy of dignity no matter their skin color or homeland or the past. One of the most important things these experiences taught me was how to adapt to change very quickly, and I think that would help me very much in the Marine Corps. When deployed, the Marines need an officer who can quickly adjust to the new way of life and more importantly, help his enlisted personnel make this adjustment. As a child, my parents instilled the values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment onto me, and I have tried my best to live according to these Marine Corps values. As a man of honor, I do not lie, cheat, or steal. I am a courageous person, and I will stand up for what I believe in and I do not back away from my problems. Commitment to me means being loyal to friends and family and trying my best to never do anything to hurt them, and it also means not giving up and staying committed to my goals. In high school, I have committed to working my hardest in school and in various extracurricular activities, and I have a goal to become a Marine Corps officer and I will try my best to achieve that goal even if I don’t get this scholarship. Growing up abroad also introduced me to people of all different backgrounds, and from this, I learned to never judge anybody by how they look or where there from but only from how they act. Another reason I believe I would enhance the Marine Corps is that I love to be challenged and I always better myself through a challenging experience. Challenging myself in school has allowed me to learn a lot more and taught me how to manage my time better. I try to challenge myself every single day, whether it’s something simple like running further or something more intense like volunteering to give a speech to the entire school. Since I try to challenge myself every day, I better myself every day. I know that the Marine ROTC program is tough and that I will be challenged more than ever before. But I am ready to embrace this challenge, and in doing so I will become a person of even higher character and prepared for a career of service as an outstanding officer in the Marine Corps.