Am I getting screwed by my recruiter?
Create Post

Am I getting screwed by my recruiter?

Am I getting screwed?
    I became a poolee on the 3rd week of June 2016 and my ship date is June 19, 2017. When my recruiter asked me what I wanted to do my first option was the infantry option and my third was an aircraft mechanic. A few weeks later my recruiter tells me that there aren't any infantry slots open at the moment and wants me to sign for an AF contract. Is it possible that there are no spots a year in advance or can I get a spot later on in the year?

Similar Threads:

I would say, your recruiter is being truthful with you.

You must understand, infantry contracts are the first to disappear, because everybody wants one (there are only so many to go around after all).

The biggest thing that's working against you right now is, we are approaching the end of this fiscal year. MOS's are allocated by each fiscal year and every recruiting district is only allocated so many infantry contracts per fiscal year. For example, let's say your recruiting district was given 100 infantry contracts for FY-2016 which ends on September 30th. It's very possible, all 100 infantry contracts for your district have already been signed this late in FY-2016. You cannot look at your situation in the sense of a calendar year - year in advance as you put it. You must look at it from the perspective of a fiscal year (which is ending next month). Have your recruiter explain how the fiscal year works and how it's affecting your MOS choices.

Good news is. Fiscal Year 2017 begins on October 1st. That doesn't mean your recruiting district will get 100 new infantry contracts again. Depending on the needs of the Marine Corps, that number could be more or less. Talk to your recruiter about the possibility of getting one of these 03XX contracts then.

Another thing to consider. Recruiters don't just come up with these recommendations on their own. They get their mission (quotas) from their district headquarters. Your recruiter is steering you towards the AF contract, because their district headquarters wants those remaining AF contracts signed before this FY ends. Think of a car salesman. Their sales director wants all of the current models sold before the new models show up.

So. To answer your question. Yes, it's possible, after the new FY begins on October 1st, your recruiter may have some new 03XX contracts available later on in the year (and maybe not). How flexible they can be with you, may not be up to them. They must follow the directions coming down from their district commander.

Good luck.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I can't help but notice, over the years, the number of people that are quick to accuse recruiters of "screwing" them, upon the slightest evidence that later turns out to be just what the recruiters should have done after all. Very interesting developments over the years, this mindset that tells you, hey, am I bein cheated??? LOL

It's so refreshing to see

The bottom line. And never forget it.

MOS assignments, promotions, reenlistments, etc. are always based on the needs of the Marine Corps. Your needs are secondary (at best).

If you do end up with an infantry contract. That's because, the USMC needs you there - not because that's your first choice. Same with an AF contract. If that's where you find yourself, it's because the USMC needs you to have an AF contract. As long as you understand this basic principle, you'll have a better understanding of where your recruiter is coming from. Their job is not to screw you. Their job is to put you where you'll benefit the USMC most (not what you want most).

If your recruiter didn't smile at you and kiss you when you left the office he didn't screw you.

Your getting the true scoop from him and the Master Sergeant here.

Apply for fiscal year boat spaces Oct 1st.

If your RSS has any available on quota.

Good luck to you.....and remember not ALL Marines are out to screw you!

Thread Information