Marrying non-resident/non-citizen?
Create Post

Marrying non-resident/non-citizen?

My Girlfriend and I recently got engaged, she is not a citizen or a resident and we're not sure when to get married, before or after bootcamp? My recruiter told us that we should wait until after bootcamp because it could delay my shipping date, is this true?

Also if we were to get married after bootcamp would we be able to have housing whilst I go through SOI and MOS school?

Any help is appreciated, I ship date is November 15th 2016

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am not a fan of Marines getting married before they make Sergeant, for several reasons, including finances.

However, your recruiter is correct about delaying your ship date if you get married before boot camp. As to getting married after boot camp, if you insist, I would wait until after you get to your first fleet command before doing so.

No, you will not get housing for SOI and MOS school. You will get BAH, but no quarters. In fact, there is no guarantee you will get housing after then. It depends on what is available at the base you are at.

Unless you or your girlfriend has an independent source of income, expect that she will have to find a job to help out financially, which means she will need a green card.

Zulu36, I can say We have been Married for 35 years, an that's being Married 10 days before leaving for boot camp. And it's worked great for both of US. It's all to what You are both willing to work at. S/F

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I am not a fan of Marines getting married before they make Sergeant, for several reasons, including finances.
    I completely agree specifically on this point. I waited until I was a SSgt select before I got married, even though I had been dating my wife-to-be for almost two years.

One thing I can say about this one - marrying a non-citizen can be a problem in security clearance matters.

It won't be an issue for a secret clearance, but for top secret, and specifically SCI, it may be a show-stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    It won't be an issue for a secret clearance, but for top secret, and specifically SCI, it may be a show-stopper.
    Not really. I'm married to a foreign national and maintain a TS/SCI for my job. Just be transparent with your security folks and everything is kosher.

It's not the security folks making the SCI decision ... apparently the DOD CAF has some guidelines on which countries a foreign-born spouse can be from when granting the SCI. I have several individuals in my command that are married to foreign nationals, that weren't granted the SCI eligibility based on their SSBI. It may because they have relatives in these countries and have regular contact with them.

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose it depends on the nationality. My wife is Australian, FYI.

My wife is from S. Korea and I have SCI eligibility. She's been a U.S. citizen since 1986 though. It may depend on whether that nation is an ally, doesn't pose a security threat, etc., but I'm not sure.

What is the OP's MOS that would dictate, then again you can do whatever the hell you want. You are the one who either makes your career easier or harder, of course there are some external factors that may add a bit of difficulty but you are the biggest contributor

Thread Information