Leave for recruit training in 18 days. Motivated!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member Esters95's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Leave for recruit training in 18 days. Motivated!!

Good afternoon Marines! I recently swore in and entered the DEP program on November 18th. My recruiter and myself had originally planned on my ship date being the beggining of February. But while I was at MEPS my liaison officer informed me that my ship date would be December 7th. I was blown away!! I went from having 3 months to further ready myself for recruit training both physically and mentally to having as of right now 17 days! I'm beyond motivated and phyched but at the same time nervous and fear of the unknown is making it's precense known. I was wondering if any of you had any advice or tips for my last 17 days as a civilian. Thanks for your time Marines!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by USMC 2571; 11-20-15 at 07:48 PM.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Advice and tips---well, sounds like you are as prepared as is POSSIBLE, because it is just not possible to be 100% prepared for the unknown----that nervousness and fear will actually help you, in that it will give you the extra boost you need to give it 110% every waking moment in boot camp. If you do your best, consistently, always, you will be fine, like every other recruit who became a Marine through determination and dedication. You will be back here asking that your status be changed from poolee to Marine, and I will be among those welcoming you back. Sounds to me like you are prepared right now as we speak. Good luck. You'll do well. Attitude is everything.

I think the biggest thing is to spend time with family and friends, and take care of anything you need to do for the next three months. Don't leave loose ends when going to boot camp relationship wise or responsibility wise. It will make boot camp significantly more difficult.

Other than that, your drill instructors are highly trained to take you from wherever you are at, and build you into a Marine, so long as you are willing to give them everything you have at all times. In the meantime, just keep exercising and if you learn no other boot camp knowledge before you ship out, learn your general orders. It will save you a lot of pain.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Marines!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice. As for 3 months, that was changed to 17 days, hence his understandable anxiety. But as far as General Orders go, that is a good idea, to learn them now, because you WILL be learning them. Do it now and save yourself some trouble. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    Good advice. As for 3 months, that was changed to 17 days, hence his understandable anxiety. But as far as General Orders go, that is a good idea, to learn them now, because you WILL be learning them. Do it now and save yourself some trouble. Great idea.
    I was referring to the time he will be gone and unable to deal with such matters.

But like USMC 2571 said, it doesn't matter if you learned anything before boot camp. One way or another, you will learn it at boot camp. I went to boot camp without studying any of the knowledge. One of the very first "Oh ****" moments at bootcamp though was having a drill instructor walk on deck when I was on fire watch and made me say my general orders that I did not know. You bet I learned them very quickly after that.

Credits
    Savings
    Studying them and the rank structure right now!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    ebecker, thanks, I thought you meant he is leaving in 3 months----by the way, how would you like things to be like the old days, when we had no Internet, did not know any Marines, had no one to ask about anything, had no say as to what MOS we would get, signed a contract but a much different one than now, and ended up arriving at Parris Island with absolutely zero foreknowledge of anything at all. I got down there Halloween Night, LOL, Trick or Treat!----do I sound like your grandfather sitting in a rocker talking about the old days????

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    esters95 I'll say it once again, you are a poolee with a great attitude and you will not only complete boot camp but you will excel there.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you sir!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    that motivation will die a quick death within your first week or so, you'll be questioning your decision for the first 3/4 of boot camp.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    hahahahaha, Joe, you got a way with words---when I got to PI I had trouble remembering what it was like to have been a civilian, seriously, the very first night. I just could not recall what it was like earlier in the day prior to my arrival.

When I enlisted at 17, I shipped two weeks later. Boot camp is a piece of cake as long as you stay motivated. The real challenge begins once you become a Marine and strive to be a leader of Marines. Everyone here became leaders of Marines, so heed their advice and be the best you can be to become one of the best, a United States Marine.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Same with me, Kegler300....signed papers at 16, my mother co-signed, then exactly 2 weeks after turning 17 was at PI October 31, 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    Same with me, Kegler300....signed papers at 16, my mother co-signed, then exactly 2 weeks after turning 17 was at PI October 31, 1963.
    I was six years old ...

Thread Information