Concerns of the Dark Side
Create Post

Concerns of the Dark Side

Hey there Devils.

I've been out of the Corps for almost a year now and I find myself considering heading back to become an officer. While I was in, I had mostly, exemplary service. I made sergeant in less than 4 years, Received a JSAM, meritorious masts, good cookie, deployment, and plenty of people who will vouch for me on a letter of recommendation; however, I also have an NJP from early in my career for underage drinking. Additionally, I have an adverse fitrep w/ a 6105 on my last and only observed fitrep. I could shower you all with excuses on why I shouldn't have gotten one all day long, but in the end, my last deployment just wasn't my finest hour. I want to become an officer, and aside from that, my record is in good standing. That being said, I know that the Corps isn't always one for second chances. Does anyone have any insight as to what my chances are of being allowed into the officers program?

Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

As competitive as commissioning programs are, I'd say you have zero chance. But, can't provide any specific examples or references for my opinion. In any event, you'll need a bachelors degree to be eligible. Are you going to college now? If so, you need to contact the area OSO and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    As competitive as commissioning programs are, I'd say you have zero chance. But, can't provide any specific examples or references for my opinion. In any event, you'll need a bachelors degree to be eligible. Are you going to college now? If so, you need to contact the area OSO and see what they say.
    I'm going to college now. I spoke to an OSO and he was contradictory. He told me that "An adverse fitrep is a big deal." But he wasn't speaking in context of an officer selection board, just in regards to the Marine Corps. He also said that the most important thing was my AI reenlistment code. So, I'm going to contact another OSO to see what they have to say on the matter.

You're on the right track and talking to the right people. Your OSO is the individual who'll walk you through the commissioning process (if you get that far).

I know an adverse fitness report is pretty much career-ending for an enlisted Marine. It is possible to come back from that but takes a long time, with sustained outstanding reports afterwards. You never had that opportunity with only one report. So, the USMC can't see if you cleaned up your act, or not. They would basically be taking a big gamble on you as an officer candidate - and there's really no need to do that. I guess you would have to convince them why they should take the chance - but don't see how one goes about that.

Good luck.

ok guy, we both know your not going to become an officer. they are denying boot ass enlisted guys reenlistment for one 6105. The Marine Corps doesn't need people and they WANT people who can do the small things without question. Your small but brief paragraph says you are barely capable of performing on a small independent level, why would they let you be in charge on a OIC (command and control) level?

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Gunslinger is right. The Corps has many more people trying to get in than it can accomodate, hence the selection standards are higher than they would normally be. When they have a tough time finding people to join, it's easier to get in, naturally. But these days, you're in competition with folks with NO black marks on their record.

I've been considering doing the same thing, or even just enlisting with the new psep coming out, I'm not sure yet just trying to keep my options open. I've been out for almost 4 years and I'm not getting over the good ol' corps. Being a nasty civilian doesn't compare. Keep us posted i'm interested in any info you find

Thread Information