Ethnicity/Race in the Corps and in civilian life.
Create Post

Ethnicity/Race in the Corps and in civilian life.

I'm glad to say that in my entire time in the Marine corps (even though i'm a reservist so I don't spend much time on duty) I've only had one incident where people have every really given me real flak for being Arabic. With the current problems in the nation revolving around race/ethnicity do any Marines here know what we as Marines can teach our civilian counterparts to help unify the nation again?

One thing I have noticed especially in University is this problem where everyone has this "identity complex." They also feel no direct kinship to anyone in the nation whom they don't know very personally. Once in the Marine Corps any Marine (All military personnel really) you meet outside of the Corps we treat with this high sense of respect and dignity. Does anyone here think we can somehow transfer that attitude or culture to all Americans?

I don't really understand how people in the US have such a problem with race and I was asked earlier this year about it and I kinda gave a half ass-ed answer to the student I was tutoring. Told him some people simply hate what they think is different or dont understand but i feel like that was a cop out answer.

Just wanted some thoughts and conversation with Marines and like minded people because i really do consider military personnel the smartest and most logical thinking people in our country.

Similar Threads:

I think it boils down to respect. Military personnel generally respect each other due to shared hardships and group identity.

Americans in general have no shared hardships (due mostly to our entitlement society) and no group identity (due to a lack of leadership). Few show any respect for our national institutions (like law enforcement, our Government, etc) nor each other. I blame this mostly on a lack of parenting skills today (of course, too many single parents means they don't have the support systems they need to parent effectively). Respect must be taught/learned in the home at an early age and then reinforced throughout adulthood.

Don't know the answer as far as keeping families together (less single parents). Don't see what role the military can play in improving this situation.

Good question/discussion. Look forward to reading other's viewpoints and recommendations.

How about mandatory civil service after a certain age? It doesnt have to be military but it will help people realize their vested interested in the success of society.

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    How about mandatory civil service after a certain age? It doesnt have to be military but it will help people realize their vested interested in the success of society.
    I was thinking of something along that as well. Maybe a year or hell even a summer where the young men and women in the nation need to do something like work in a hospital, or a school to give just a little something back to the society. I wouldn't really want civilians to be forced into the military in any aspect because I fear that it would have some adverse side effects on our military. I imagine maybe lower standers or a shift in culture that could hurt the institution.

I had a professor once say he believes that while Japan has a very strict school system that we should take a page out of their book and operate schools as they do. I don't really know much about it but he basically said they stress extra circulars and the school in short forces the school to run events like festivals where every student is to take part in some way. This way it forces a social atmosphere and it teaches people teamwork, leadership etc. While here everything is optional making a possibility that many can have zero investment and commitment to institutional bodies.

I know Israel has mandatory military service. Seems to work well for them.

This is what I meant by the entitlement society. Too many Americans just want to take everything they can and never give back.

I wouldnt even suggest that it be military. It can be local, state or federal service. They could sort mail, be a reserve dispatcher at the fire/police station or if they elect they could fill some of the entry level positions at the federal level. This type of service could even serve to reduce federal school loans. Anything to keep people off the streets and instill some type of service or citizenship. I agree with you Mohamed, I have had a tough time understanding this issue. I joined the military right after HS and have worked in/with the military ever since. I wish that there was a way I could understand, it may help me to realize a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I know Israel has mandatory military service. Seems to work well for them.

This is what I meant by the entitlement society. Too many Americans just want to take everything they can and never give back.
    Israel is a weird case, I've been a couple times and while they have a system where many people do follow the mandatory service every year i get back news from family about a Rabbi or a Orthodox man who was imprisoned, killed, or deported for refusal to serve. As well as this the flow of international aide given to Israel helps them pay for health care, social security and the building of their nation militarily and economically.

So its a bit different where as in the US we rely on our own citizens with taxes very heavily for any institutional service. They know they will be taken care of very well after their service where as in the US in my lifetime atleast i cant remember going a year without hearing Social security may run out unless we tax. Health care is not provided so people have this feeling where they dont owe the country anything. My dad once told me "i paid taxes for 33 years so far... then i lost my job and the unemployment office didn't help me out." He really does not have skills other than real estate and managing but its that sentiment i guess that has people resistant to any form of required service in the nation.

I feel like Devilbones2 suggestion could work, but I feel like many Americans would claim that it infringes on their personal freedoms. As well as this i wouldn't really want the trade off to be something like free healthcare as it seems much of the nation is against this. Lowered school tuition rates would be a good idea i think. Getting back on topic I think it would help Americans feel more of a kinship with each other having to work in the society some so that they actually feel apart of their city. They feel apart of their communities. I think that's what the USA is lacking these days especially in cities.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You guys may be interested in reading Robert Heinlein's book, Starship Troopers. Don't watch the movie as it doesn't explain things as well.

Essentially, in the book, military service is optional. However, to be a full citizen (voting rights, ability to run for office, etc), one must serve at least one term. Second class citizens are not treated poorly, but they have no say in government. However, there is a global government on Earth.

What about disabled people who wish to serve and become citizens? The military has to find them a spot to serve, which is often a desk job as a REMF. But that frees an able bodied soldier for front-line service. Same thing for disabled vets who need to finish their term.

I've always thought that Heinlein had something there.

Interesting comments I've been reading so far, I would like to add that if national service were to be introduced I think Switzerland is a good model to follow. If a person doesn't want to serve in the military there are other options to choose from, which include providing some other forms of federal or civic duties. For example, one former work colleague was part of a team that would provide relief efforts to remote communities during the winter months. Generally speaking, the activities seemed to focus on team building while providing a needed service.

I'm tempted to make some comments and comparisons at this point regarding Swiss gun ownership and gun-related crime statistics and use that as a segue into the meaning of the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment rights regarding "A well regulated militia..." but I'll stop here because it deviates from the point of the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by jknittel View Post
    Interesting comments I've been reading so far, I would like to add that if national service were to be introduced I think Switzerland is a good model to follow. If a person doesn't want to serve in the military there are other options to choose from, which include providing some other forms of federal or civic duties. For example, one former work colleague was part of a team that would provide relief efforts to remote communities during the winter months. Generally speaking, the activities seemed to focus on team building while providing a needed service.

I'm tempted to make some comments and comparisons at this point regarding Swiss gun ownership and gun-related crime statistics and use that as a segue into the meaning of the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment rights regarding "A well regulated militia..." but I'll stop here because it deviates from the point of the original post.
    Please create a new post about this. I am interested to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    You guys may be interested in reading Robert Heinlein's book, Starship Troopers. Don't watch the movie as it doesn't explain things as well.

Essentially, in the book, military service is optional. However, to be a full citizen (voting rights, ability to run for office, etc), one must serve at least one term. Second class citizens are not treated poorly, but they have no say in government. However, there is a global government on Earth.

What about disabled people who wish to serve and become citizens? The military has to find them a spot to serve, which is often a desk job as a REMF. But that frees an able bodied soldier for front-line service. Same thing for disabled vets who need to finish their term.

I've always thought that Heinlein had something there.
    I have to agree with Zulu on this one, I first read the book in the late 1960's, and it impressed the hell out of me... but not only the "government parts", but the EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM as well... seems like the "educators" were not afraid or ashamed of their history, and made no attempt to "re-write" same.

In this Country, where I was born, raised and lived for 69 years, is far from the one I remember growing up. Having a front row seat has opened my eyes to many things in respect to the old and the new. One thing is very obvious.....in small town America, people get along very well together, no matter their race or religion. However, in your large Metro's, you have a large diversity of people crammed together. What is killing this Country is the radical groups, that stem from every race. Not the everyday go to work, go to school, raise your children people.....but those that have nothing else to do except ***** and grip about the way they are treated unfairly. Get rid of the Radicals and their leaders.....we might just get along fine.

Thread Information