Prior service army infantry
Create Post

Prior service army infantry

Hello, I served in the AD army for 4 years. I was an infantry mortarman. My experience there was lacking to say the least. I deployed to Iraq and never got to see any combat. I'm now choosing what branch to re-enlist with. I was an E-4 when I got out. Due to my experience, I don't think that I want to enlist as AD for the time being. More than anything I feel that a lot of my time was wasted and I was cheated out of what I joined for.

The past aside, I'm looking into Marine reserves as it seems to be the only way I can stay a grunt and not be AD. I have no interest in support positions.

With that said, I'd like to know what your experiences have been in the reserves, and if there's anyone who has transitioned from the army, then your perspective should help a lot.

In the army, AD makes fun of the National Guard units because they are usually lacking in discipline and technical knowledge. I'd never want to deploy with those individuals.

Thank you, and recommendations are welcome.

Similar Threads:

Ok....I'll chime in....

I won't be much help....but, there are several USMC reserves that contribute to this forum.
    I'd guess some will offer some guidance as to you query.

On a side note: I've read recently (can't recall where) that National Guard boot camp is as rigorous/or more so than the Army.

The USMC is going MOS you where needed which may not cater to your desires.
    Something to keep in mind.

Lastly....you're profile is sorely lacking.
    I'd guess participants here would be more willing to accommodate if your profile was fleshed out with more factual details about your prior service.
    But...that's just my take on it.
    At least, you got a bump.

Good luck on your quest.

Carry on....

You're not alone. There are plenty of AD Marines who get out because they never got to do what they joined up to do. Except for pilots, Marines today are trainers, advisors, and deliver humanitarian relief supplies overseas. Add to that, nobody enlisted to be a part of the liberal progressive politician's social engineering projects with our military forces. Whether any of this changes with the next president remains to be seen.

Do you happen to know what MOS your nearest USMCR unit is? You'll have to be interviewed and contracted for a specific billet there - may or may not be infantry.

Do you have plans of talking to a USMC recruiter (that's your next step)?

I do.

"2nd Battalion, 23rd
    Marines (2/23) is a reserve infantry battalion"

And, the only hope I know of to remain a grunt on reserve status.

I am going tomorrow to pick their brains. I am antsy, had a dream last night, and the idea came to me in my sleep, since I've been looking for a way to re-enlist without going support.

Also, if Marine recruiter's are anything like the army, then I won't necessarily get the full truth, nor the expertise of someone who was actually involved in what I'm looking for. But, hey, that's just me being paranoid.

Thank you both for your input.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Getting into the Marine Reserves shouldn't be too big of a deal, but are you aware that you will still have to attend Marine boot camp and infantry training battalion? Also, you will take a drop in rank to E-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Getting into the Marine Reserves shouldn't be too big of a deal, but are you aware that you will still have to attend Marine boot camp and infantry training battalion? Also, you will take a drop in rank to E-2.

Yes, I am aware that is usually the case, however, I have found that some have managed to get it in their contract to be promoted to CPL after a certain duration once they reach their unit. And, I realize that these are different times. But, even then, I am not too concerned about this.

If that is what I must do to improve my skills and become a better warrior, then that is what I will do. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from a terrible COC. (hahaha, it's too early for this.) It is as I read from one Marine, "they treat theirs like cannon fodder".

Not going to say Marine recruiters lie (never was one myself). But, they are trained salesmen selling a product to prospective buyers. Sometimes, the buyer only hears what they want to hear. In all cases, the recruiter follows the directions promulgated by their district headquarters.

Good luck and let us know how your visit with a recruiter goes.

The visit went well. Going to have to wait on a conditional release from the army IRR. Everything else checks out.

Only one thing that really bothered me-the recruiters were trying to push me towards going AD, however, I mentioned a few times that it's out of the question. They finally let up after they realized I didn't want to hear what they had to say about it.

They didn't try to find out if it was possible for me to have a contract with guaranteed rank to make up for loss of rank. I was also told, without them checking, that my unit would 100% allow me to compete in mixed martial arts fights without prior approval or it being in a contract. This, I know for a fact, Tim Kennedy was denied in SF. That definitely throws me off.

It was just your initial visit. They may be more inclined to invest more effort into your case if-and-when you get your conditional release from the army IRR.

Like I said before. Recruiters get their quotas from their district headquarters. They will lead prospects towards those goals.

No idea who Tim Kennedy is. MMA is a big deal in the USMC. You'll leave bootcamp with a tan MCMAP belt and can continue training in the fleet if you wish. Not surprising they would say your unit will allow you to compete and no need for it to be in your contract.

Roger.

Tim Kennedy is a professional UFC fighter who now belongs to the
    7th Special Forces Group · Texas Army National Guard.

Prior to joining the Texas Army National Guard, he was not cleared to fight by his unit.

I am referring to having an amateur and/or a professional MMA career while serving. This is a career that places an individual both in the spotlight of the media and harm's way for serious injuries, which could result in a military discharge. I find it hard to believe that any unit in the armed forces would take that risk lightly.

I agree. A professional UFC fighter is a unique case and may involve some liability issues. No issues for amateurs I'm aware of. If MMA is something you plan on pursuing as a reservist, you should discuss this with your recruiters and any interviews with the potential reserve command (so there are no surprises later).

Thread Information