Bootcamp (Am I Ready)
Create Post

Bootcamp (Am I Ready)

Hello everyone, I come seeking information because of 2 choices put before me. My original ship date is Dec. 11 but upon talking with my recruiters I expressed my desire to go earlier. At first we were looking at October then October became September. Now I've been given the option to go either sometime in August (I'll find out the exact date on Monday) or late September. My question to all of you is would you consider me physically ready to meet the challenges I will be faced with in bootcamp. To try and give you some background information; I have been a boxer/wrestler for the last 5 years of my life which has kept me in above average shape as well as being athletic and involved in sports all my life. As of now I've been preparing since January. Although I'm aware IST means nothing I'll give it as to supply you with all the information you may need. I run the 1.5mi. In 10:28 although I believe I could've pushed a little harder and went sub 10mins. I surpassed the perfect sit-ups as it seems most do with 110 in the allotted time and can manage 12-15 pull-ups with perfect form (a weakness I believe I could've better prepared for) . Other than this I run a little over 3mi. at least 4 times a week (the course is all steep hills) at around a 20 min. time but I've ran longer at a faster per mile pace when the course is level (as I've been lead to believe Parris Island is). I've also been able to manage average 75-80 push ups in one set as well as hold a plank for 3:45. Sub par scores I know but I've been trying to prepare because I hear they are a DI favorite. As far as PT I'd like to believe I perform fairly well consistently and am one of the more in shape poolees as I strive to always be at or above the performance level of recruits about to ship. I know bootcamp is mostly mental and I see myself being able to overcome those challenges put before me. I would just like to know what others think about how physically prepared I may or may not be. Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Sabwa765 View Post
    Hello everyone, I come seeking information. I know boot camp is mostly mental and I see myself being able to overcome those challenges put before me. I would just like to know what others think about how physically prepared I may or may not be. Thank you in advance.
    I_M_O...
    I'm sure you want more specifics but you're overthinking it.

If what you say is true about your physical shape/abilities be aware that many have been in far worse shape than yourself and got through boot camp honorably.

Know that your mental resolve is what will allow you to succeed in the physical realm of boot camp expectations.

Just gird thy loins for the most profound, demanding experience to date in your young life.

I always hesitate to comment in this type of inquiry because of past experience...but, I will wish you find the mental resolve necessary to be the best example in your platoon.....one day at a time.

That's all I have....I'm sure others will have their take on it too.

Carry on....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You and Chulaivet are correct in that boot camp is mostly an exercise in mental fitness.

The IST is important at this stage for you as that is the test your recruiter and, early-on, your drill instructors, will use to gauge your suitability to continue regular training.

The scores you give are a solid pass, so I wouldn't worry about that except to keep up your fitness regimen and work toward better scores in the time you have left.

Yes, PI is flat. I didn't go to boot camp there, but I have been aboard to visit.

Good luck. Come back on this thread and keep us advised of your progress.

I appreciate the feedback.

Chulaivet I appreciate your insight as to how big a role mental capacity will play. I know it will be the most intense expierence I've had to date but I believe I can overcome these challenges. And to confirm your suspicions I am admittedly a chronic overthinker.

Zulu I will do as you said and stay the course looking to crush the standards I've already set for myself. And besides coming back to reply to future poster will come back to keep you guys up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabwa765 View Post
    I can overcome these challenges. And to confirm your suspicions I am admittedly a chronic over thinker.
    ...."stay the course" looking to crush the standards I've already set for myself. And besides coming back to reply to future poster will come back to keep you guys up to date.
    "Your mission, if you decide to (excel and) accept it" is the above.

My experience would suggest the following:
    1) Approach it one (grueling) day at a time.
    2) Don't try to second guess what the DI's will throw at you from day to day.
    3) Failure, is any aspect of the challenges ahead of you, is not an option.
    4) Set the best example of performance, fortitude and resolve among all fellow boots and your DI's.
    5) Lastly, know this, you may be deployed to a land far, far away and be called upon to exhibit extraordinary CUF. (courage under fire).

Do keep this forum informed....make us proud.

Carry on....

Think you're worrying yourself over nothing. The bar for shipping to bootcamp is the IST. If you're passing that, and your recruiter says you're good-to-go, then you shouldn't be too concerned about it. PT in bootcamp is not a big deal today. Now, if you decide you want to strive to be a guide, squad leader, or platoon honorman, that's a different matter entirely. Then, you're looking at perfect or near-perfect PFT and CFT scores, as well as an expert rifle score.

Most boot Marines I hear from today claim they thought bootcamp was easy - some even say it was fun. Most agree, it is more mentally challenging than physical.

As far as shipping earlier. The black flag is out more often now due to the heat index. It may be a little cooler at PI in October. On the other hand, sooner you ship to bootcamp, sooner you'll graduate (hopefully).

Good luck

Thread Information