Capitalizing the "M" in Marine....
Create Post

Capitalizing the "M" in Marine....

The purpose of this post is for clarification.

It can be argued as to whether the "M" is to be capitalized or not, so with that out front, here is my take.

Marine is both a noun and a Title, this in itself warrant's the capitalization...

The title of Marine is earned, not given... When typing that word it deserves to be spelled in the upper case, this places the emphasis on the word and title Marine..

Most importantly, it is capitalized for respect of brothers in arms, especially Marines...

There it is, that's my input.

I'm sure there are better educated and smarter Marines out here that will add some significant input, and that is always welcome..

I will however, correct any that continue to spell Marine in lower case...!!!

FO

Hell Yes! I always Spell Marine with a capital "M". As it should be! Semper Fi MARINE!

I agree with you Foxtrot. I've always capitalized the word Marine and always will till the day I die.

I'm obviously not a Marine, but I have a bit of experience with language/writing/etc. I agree with your post, Mike, but this particular part is what I'm most familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotoscar View Post

It can be argued as to whether the "M" is to be capitalized or not, so with that out front, here is my take.

Marine is both a noun and a Title, this in itself warrant's the capitalization...
    Yes. Proper nouns and titles are capitalized in English. Capitalizing also provides clarity and prevents confusion here as "marine" can be used as more than one part of speech.

M
    arine = noun; person who has earned the title and the EGA.

marine = adjective; modifies/describes a noun/pronoun/another adjective to denote something as relating to or referencing the sea (e.g. marine biologist, marine wildlife, marine ecosystem, marine barometer).

We have earned it Once A Marine Always A Marine, Semper Fidelis

That can be a problem. What about Marines who want to spell Marine Corps Marine Corp - like a corporation or Marine Corpse like a dead body. See it WAY too often. And it really pi$$es me off when I do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LitLover84 View Post
    I'm obviously not a Marine, but I have a bit of experience with language/writing/etc. I agree with your post, Mike, but this particular part is what I'm most familiar with.

Yes. Proper nouns and titles are capitalized in English. Capitalizing also provides clarity and prevents confusion here as "marine" can be used as more than one part of speech.

M
    arine = noun; person who has earned the title and the EGA.

marine = adjective; modifies/describes a noun/pronoun/another adjective to denote something as relating to or referencing the sea (e.g. marine biologist, marine wildlife, marine ecosystem, marine barometer).
    See, that's why we like you, Mandi - teacher gotta teach, and we can always use some book learning in here!

Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    See, that's why we like you, Mandi - teacher gotta teach, and we can always use some book learning in here!

Yes, she does have a way with words...

However - "Marine & Wildlife" on certain occasions have been syn·on·y·mous....

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotoscar View Post
    Yes, she does have a way with words...

However - "Marine & Wildlife" on certain occasions have been syn·on·y·mous....

Just like Marine and Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    That can be a problem. What about Marines who want to spell Marine Corps Marine Corp - like a corporation or Marine Corpse like a dead body. See it WAY too often. And it really pi$$es me off when I do!!!

Thread Information