about your drill instructor
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question about your drill instructor

what was the worst thing he said to you?
    mine was, "do squat thrusts until i get tired."
    i thought, oh great, this old SOB won't get tired for at least 6 weeks.

Similar Threads:

I don't remember much of boot camp. Lots of memorable stuff happened after that which surpassed it in both difficulty and memorability.

Take Sgt Nort this cup of coffee (with shaving cream on top of the coffee). Did bends and thrusts for an hour in his squadbay! Mother-hubbard ...

Our Platoon Commander, SSgt Case, you ladies will do pushups until I get tired, hurts thinking about it, Semper Fidelis.

LMAO;and don't you men know it made our D.I.'s more angry when we completed our bends and squat thrusts, thinking we'd give up and quit, more tired than them, giving them nightmares wondering what else they could do to break our gung-ho spirit and determination?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    it wasn't what he said said as much as it was what he did, we would go into the inside circuit course , giant size quanson hut and run the circuit , about 50 - 60 different exercises on one for 3 minutes switch, repeat over and over till they decided we were done for now, we had this senior DI who would go into the middle of the area and grab one of the climbing ropes that were hanging to the floor and he would sit down on the floor and the proceed to hand over hand himself up to the top, all the while in the seated position as if he were in a chair at the kitchen table, ring the damn bell and repeat until our azz holes were indeed sucking buttermilk, I hated that S.O.B., but I loved him for it more, got me through with sheer will and determined ****ed off attitude to succeed. GOD BLESS the bastard DI's..

Quote Originally Posted by The DUKE View Post
    it wasn't what he said said as much as it was what he did, we would go into the inside circuit course , giant size quanson hut and run the circuit , about 50 - 60 different exercises on one for 3 minutes switch, repeat over and over till they decided we were done for now, we had this senior DI who would go into the middle of the area and grab one of the climbing ropes that were hanging to the floor and he would sit down on the floor and the proceed to hand over hand himself up to the top, all the while in the seated position as if he were in a chair at the kitchen table, ring the damn bell and repeat until our azz holes were indeed sucking buttermilk, I hated that S.O.B., but I loved him for it more, got me through with sheer will and determined ****ed off attitude to succeed. GOD BLESS the bastard DI's..
    you're right; we love them for it today, but hated them back then!

Believe it or not one of our guys messed up one time, the result was 1,000 squat thrusts. On #766 another one of our guys messed up. Without even being told we simply restarted the count at "1"

Toward the end of training our DI's gave us a choice of deleting one of our many punishments. It was unanimous amongst us; We gave up "Hanging from the Racks." For those that are uninformed we would hold ourselves up with our hands and hang from the top of the upper rack in our bare feet on that angle iron. Anyone that fell down got his asss kicked and he was then put back up to hang some more with the rest of us. Now that was PAIN.

In the 60's all Drill Instructors carried a little card in the sweat band of their Campaign Covers that told them exactly what Supplementary Instruction could be administered for that particular phase of training. If exceeded and caught, well we all know the answer to that question. There were ways to work around the S.I. Card, but do not get caught.

^^^correct! That normally occurred INSIDE the squadbay, with lookouts posted at the hatches. They were to sound-off if anyone got within shouting distance of the squadbay.

Today. DI's swear to an officer (in front of their recruits), they'll do no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    ^^^correct! That normally occurred INSIDE the squadbay, with lookouts posted at the hatches. They were to sound-off if anyone got within shouting distance of the squadbay.

Today. DI's swear to an officer (in front of their recruits), they'll do no such thing.
    This is the new Marine Corps Boot Camp and is B.S. I am betting that getting volunteers for D.I. School is ZILCH.

You are correct. However, they don't just take volunteers. One can receive orders to DI school without asking (same for recruiter's school). Think embassy duty is still volunteer only but not 100% certain since they need so many bodies today (State Department keeps asking for more).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You are correct. However, they don't just take volunteers. One can receive orders to DI school without asking (same for recruiter's school). Think embassy duty is still volunteer only but not 100% certain since they need so many bodies today (State Department keeps asking for more).
    Again, sounds like a big can of worms to me. Glad my time was up many tears ago. If I had it to do again in these times, it would probably be the Air Farce.

the garbage that the DI had to deal with in the late 1970's was sufficient to teach me that the Corps' training methods had CHANGED, and not necessarily for the better... the folks that want these "kinder, gentler training methods" are the first ones to start screaming for an "investigation" when little Johnny comes home with a "serious mental disability" because he could not "handle" what he was exposed to in combat.... if the DI can't "thump" on a recruit, just what do you think the ENEMY will do...AIN'T NO STRESS CARDS IN COMBAT...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    If I had it to do again in these times, it would probably be the Air Farce.
    funny; i said the same thing after my discharge.

Thread Information