"Full Metal Jacket" - The Making of - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mistybluelady, I agree as well, I'm glad you're back. Don't worry as you will be straight soon enough. Go ahead and hi-jack, some here do it all the time. More entertainment for all. You'll always get my vote.

Good to HaveYo Back

Marine Family Free Member Mistybluelady's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Still the only thread I can post in.... I feel Im under a gag order.... soooo... what the heck is going on in the Morning,Afternoon forum... kids are not playing nice in the sandbox... funny how people put their 2cents into something they have no clue about.....me? Im clueless all the time... part of my lovable nature.... Have a great day gents and hopefully see you soon in other forums.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Mistybluelady, I agree as well, I'm glad you're back. Don't worry as you will be straight soon enough. Go ahead and hi-jack, some here do it all the time. More entertainment for all. You'll always get my vote.
    thank you honey....

Administrator Platinum Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Promised what really happened regarding this so I called and here is what happened.
    Lee was hired for the movie and as a technical advisor. The movie was actually shot in reverse order to the final film, war footage first, DI footage second.
    Kubrick asked Lee to rehearse lines with the other actors in the film for the DI scene. He knew the lines and took the opportunity to get in full costume and practice the scenes almost as seen in the final film. Kubrick saw the film of the rehearsal and hired Lee to be Sgt. Hartman, firing the original actor. FoxTrotOscar had it right a few posts up.
    Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Have fun and be safe!
    GaryW

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W View Post
    Promised what really happened regarding this so I called and here is what happened.
    Lee was hired for the movie and as a technical advisor. The movie was actually shot in reverse order to the final film, war footage first, DI footage second.
    Kubrick asked Lee to rehearse lines with the other actors in the film for the DI scene. He knew the lines and took the opportunity to get in full costume and practice the scenes almost as seen in the final film. Kubrick saw the film of the rehearsal and hired Lee to be Sgt. Hartman, firing the original actor. FoxTrotOscar had it right a few posts up.
    Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Have fun and be safe!
    GaryW
    Gary; thanks for the "Now you know the rest of the story". Would you please look, or have someone look into solving Mistyblues problem of not being able to post on all the threads. Thanks! Hope you have a good weekend as well.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Gary; thanks for the "Now you know the rest of the story". Would you please look, or have someone look into solving Mistyblues problem of not being able to post on all the threads. Thanks! Hope you have a good weekend as well.
    Gary and Schaffer have been working diligently on trying to fix my problem....Im in a time warp ... I was good until I got banned and got a friend request from someone I wouldnt accept.... its been a battle since then... Poor Gary, I pester him daily and he has been a sweetheart thru out this... hopefully soon... as it is sooo hard to keep my thoughts to my self.....cheers

Poor Gary, I pester him daily and he has been a sweetheart thru out this...
    Yep Gary did me right also...........but it would be wrong of me if I called him a sweetheart.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Yep Gary did me right also...........but it would be wrong of me if I called him a sweetheart.....
    Well I dare say that could cause some gossip right there.......

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Can anybody attest to how accurate this is with the current USMC bootcamp?
    I have been told that hazing isn't allowed.

My experience was kind of parallel with the movie in that I went through the USMC bootcamp at PI from mid Jan 67 to end of Mar 67, in the 3rd battalion which is the battalion that was shown in the movie. 8 weeks plus about 5 days of forming; waiting on the other 2 platoons in my series to fill up. I was also on the 1st floor of the 3 story barracks, just like in the movie.

The PI scenes in the movie were very accurate except for 2 things;

1. What the movie showed was not nearly as brutal as PI 3rd Battalion was back then, the DI's were doing all they could to weed out the quitters and "those that do not posses what it takes to be in my beloved Marine Corps."

2. The movie only showed the 1 DI, we had 5 savage DI's just like the DI in the movie as we had over 90 recruits in the platoon.

But, you need to understand, back then we were all volunteers and we all went in on open contract except those with an aviation guarantee, we knew our mos's would be dependent upon the needs of the Corps. And we all knew at that time the Corps needed more than anything MORE grunts.

Numerous times every day we were reminded where we were going and the harsh training was something we pretty much understood was required to weed out the non hackers and the worse thing ever: QUITTERS

My platoon during training dropped over 50 of the original 96, one had to be very motivated to continue in training back then, one would think that the MC would be putting through every live body that they could, but not so. With pickups we graduated over 90+ with 85% of us going to the grunts. I'm adding this to let you know that I've often said that as hard as our training was, it should have been at least 10 times worse because of where they sent many of us in the Nam.

The movie showed the 2/5 who are the Marines that took the south side of the Perfume River. I personally went into Hue on the north side of the river with the 1/5. We're the ones that finally took the citadel, though we were told not to raise our flag because we had to let the arvin gooks raise their's to make the cowards look good. Never could find any of the yellow backed assswipes until it was time to put up that damn flag of theirs. For a moment there we almost kept on killing gooks.

Back in that day we had none of the sophisticated equipment I’ve seen regarding todays military. We simply had our rifles and we were selected because of our giant gonads. Terms like "to the last man" and "Ain't no quitter" “Don’t mean nothing” were very common expressions back then. Hell, half the guys with tattoos were wearing "Death Before Dishonor" on their forearms and that's for real. We were in a different world than you, a world where balls mattered. We were trained to out savage the savages, as an understatement you might say we were very feared.

Believe the PI scenes in the movie, they were very realistic but just remember they can't show the reality of PI back then in a movie or they would have probably been forced to close the place down. And then where would the US and the world for that matter be if we no longer had United State Marines?

From what I’ve heard your training and all the new weapons are awesome, but what we had in spades were rock solid devoted Marines that fought to their deaths and would never surrender or ever consider bringing dishonor on themselves or the Corps, I’ve seen it. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by joshhhh View Post

Can anybody attest
    to how accurate this is
    with the current USMC bootcamp ?

I have been told
    that hazing isn't allowed.
    We didn't call or consider it HAZING -

We called it "TRADITION"

Mothers of America / gotta love 'um

Thread Information