Foreign Born Marines
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Foreign Born Marines

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked hundreds of times. I'm not actually looking for the how to do it (that's pretty clear and straightforward even though difficult, get a green card and enlist), I mostly want to read the stories about those who have done it.

I have two main motivations:

First, I was born in the Dominican Republic and have lived here my whole life. Ever since I was 3 years old I attended an American school and as a result my English is actually better than my Spanish, I am more familiar with US history than my birth country's history, and other things. As a matter of fact, I get asked a crap-load where I'm from and it but doesn't really bother me despite being annoying.

Personally, I believe that either one supports the country they live in, or they should live in a country they support. It's not that I dislike my home country, but I'm definitely not a fan of the popular culture here and I don't just want to move to the United States, but I also want to become an American.

There's also something else, In fourth grade I read a book called "Heroes don't Run" by Harry Mazer and really got into WW2 stories, book, movies, games, the like and this made me admire and respect those who participate in military service. After the 2010 earthquake in Haiti Marines where the first responders of the crisis. The closest advanced medical center to Haiti was a hospital in my city named "Homs" my dad is also a doctor there and in the summer I would work in his office. Occasionally a Black Hawk would land in the heliport delivering people who were in critical state, mostly from disease. Aboard the helicopters were United States Marines, I was lucky to have my dad take a picture of me in the helicopter with the crew that I can't seem to find but it felt like meeting the heroes I admired from all my books, movies and games. Anyway, three years ago while still in high school a friend of mine who was graduating that year enlisted in the US Army. At this point I actually realized that I could do military service too, but I wasn't going to do Army like him... I am going to be Marine. The negative, I need a green card to move to the US so I couldn't do it out of high school. I am currently 19 and finishing my first year of college to earn a degree that I can later use to obtain an employment based green card and move to the US and become a United States Marine.

Anyway... that's my bit for now... any thoughts? or anyone else who would like to share.