Hall of Famer Gordie Howe dies at 88
Create Post
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Hall of Famer Gordie Howe dies at 88

Hall of Famer Gordie Howe has died at the age of 88, his son Marty Howe confirmed to CNN Sports.

Howe suffered a serious stroke and nearly died in October 2014, but he underwent stem cell treatment last summer and improved so much he was able to attend a Red Wings game this March, just before his 88th birthday.

Known as “Mr. Hockey” and renowned as one of the best hockey players of all time, Howe played 25 years for the Red Wings followed by seven more seasons with the Houston Aeros, New England Whalers and Hartford Whalers.

Howe won four Stanley Cup trophies with the Red Wings and six Hart Trophies for being the league MVP.

He was voted an All Star 23 times and led the league in goals in five seasons. He ranks second all-time among NHL players in goals with 801 and fourth in points with 1,850.

Howe is also known for the “Gordie Howe Hat Trick,” which involves a player scoring a goal, recording an assist and getting into a fight in a single game.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    RIP Gordie...

Credits
    Savings
    RIP Gordie. I sure enjoyed watching him play back in the day.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Me too.

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I remember Gordie well and saw him play at the old Olympia where the Wings played before the move to Joe Louis Arena. One of a kind.

They said that it took a brave man to go into a corner after a puck with Howe. He was an expert at spearing as his forearms and wrists were so strong he didn't have to move his stick much to achieve the effect he wanted. The refs missed a lot of calls as a result.

RIP Gordie and thanks for the memories.

I saw him play for the Red Wings when I was a little kid in Boston. He always got a goal or an assist when Detroit beat Boston.

Thread Information