Should a servicemember's religion really be listed on their dogtags for all to see?
Create Post

Cool Should a servicemember's religion really be listed on their dogtags for all to see?

I saw this on another forum...which I thought was interesting...

Should a servicemember's religion really be listed on their dogtags for all to see?

Name, blood type, and social security number I can understand but religion?...

For proper burial and religious observations if the person is killed... but I don't think is any business of the enemy....

Sempers,

Roger

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I guess if anyone is nervous about the treatment they will receive if captured by an enemy whose religious beliefs tend to have negative reactions towards others can go with 'no pref'. This, in itself, can set you up to be sky-lined.

No easy answer here, drifter, however, leave my pref on my tags; I would rather go down standing by my faith than live to hear the cock crow three times...

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Opinion;

"ID" tags are not for the enemy, true enough. Like a funeral, they are not for the deceased either, they are for the living.

I'd feel better (if that is possible after I'm dead) knowing that my family knew things were done right. And then 'graves registration' has to do their part, which is what I think the tags are REALLY for.

We took great pains in Iraq buring their dead, making sure their heads faced Mecca. They were dead, it didn't matter to them, but it was what their culture, religion required.

I guess that means that OUR GOVERNMENT recognizes religion after all

Terry

I agree, leave it on the tags.Thats the idea of Freedom, thats what we fight for.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If I remember correctly I think religion was put on tags when military people were fighting and dying in the field. When that servicemen was dying they could have the proper blessing according to their religion, kinda of a convience thing. And thats if I remember correctly.

On a side note... I have stopped carring my dogtags on my key etc.. because my ssn is on them. Idon't want some turd finding my social and taking my identity.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow I never considered that airframesguru because mine has a seven digit number that was assigned prior to going to the SSN's but you have an excellent point. I wonder if CMC and DOD have thought about that?

Sempers
    Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm a "no prefer," just like my dad... personally, though I've heard stories about this getting you singled out, I've actually found it to not be the case. Maybe it was more of an issue in the past...

I still carry my dog tag on my key chain.....shows prot, service number (no SS#), last name, 1st and middle initial, 0 and a S. I have been told the S stands for the gas mask size. Anybody know for sure?

Yes it stand for gas mask size Mine is M

Met a Marine yesterday and he said the S was for single! LOL

Originally posted by gbudd
    Met a Marine yesterday and he said the S was for single! LOL
    finialy somebody got the answer right

Registered User Free Member Kenneth Ring's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I got my "tags" and it said "M". So if "S" means single then why did mine have an "M" when I was single?

I never got singled oout for being a "no pref" Marine.

Of course, they wouldn't let me put on there what i REALLY wanted to, but hey, thems the breaks.

I believe religious preference should be on there, but if there is no clergyman of your chosen religion nearby, what good can it do?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    believe religious preference should be on there, but if there is no clergyman of your chosen religion nearby, what good can it do?
    No one knows,because no one came and told us. But I would imagine that when my brothers laid dying in amongst the rumble of the BLT 1/8 HQ Barracks in 1983,there was only two chaplains available because of the circumstances. A Catholic priest and a Jewish rabbi. When a Marine,soldier or sailor was dug from the rubble and a blessing or anointment was said or performed over the body or remains,you seen that look of comfort on the face of the dying,even though the pain and noise was unbearable.

My point being,is that I guess comfort comes in the eyes of the beholder. Because I know for a fact that that my BLT fallen was not all Catholic and Jewish. I also would speculate that there were atheists in the bunch too. My personal belief is the quote
    There are NO atheists in foxholes.
    I would also venture too say that the same holds true when you know that your life is just about gone and it is time for you to push up the clover or fertilize the lawn,that somewhere deep inside,whether spoken or unspoken you have your rendezvous with your maker.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Thread Information