Joining Corps as a mother with an Active Duty Spouse
Create Post

Question Joining Corps as a mother with an Active Duty Spouse

My husband is a Marine of almost nine years now and we are currently awaiting news of his next reenlistment. I have always wanted to join the military and would be honored to have the title of Marine. After a car accident several years ago I didn't think I would ever be able to make it through boot camp, but I have been exercising for the past few years and I know I am physically fit enough (I know it will still be tough). I want to join the Corps. However, we have two young children. My mother lives with us currently (works full time and pays for her stay) and once we figure out where we are going next my mother in law will be moving in with us. She receives Social Security so she can't work, and would be our child care provider while I am gone. I understand this will be difficult for my whole family, it will be a huge change from the norm and it will take some time to get used to. Change typically isn't ever easy, but that doesn't mean it isn't beneficial, it doesn't mean it's not worth it. To me, this is worth it.
    We are waiting to hear the outcome of his reenlistment before we speak to a recruiter, so I am trying to get some questions answered in the mean time. Thank you for your time.

How much does my having children affect my chances of being accepted into the Marine Corps? If my husband is active duty himself he is not considered my dependent is he?

How likely is it that my husband and I would be stationed together?

If my husband doesn't get accepted for reenlistment (there is currently an issue with missing documentation for forearm tattoos), will I still be eligible to join? I wasn't sure if that would be considered as me having three dependents, even though he would still be receiving compensation for being forced out and he would begin college with his GI Bill, so would be receiving some money for living expenses as well.

Similar Threads:

There are no active recruiters here on this forum so doubt anybody is qualified to answer your questions about enlisting.

During my career, I did run into a few joint spouses (mostly while I was in Okinawa twice). I know the USMC does it's best to keep joint spouses/families together. But, as you already know, the needs of the Corps always come first.

The tattoo policy just changed (more lenient) so that could possibly have a bearing on your husband's reenlistment request.

Good luck to you both.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your right Top. Tough to answer but here is the link to the new tattoo policy in the meantime until other Marines come by and could shed some light on your questions.

If your husband is active duty no, he will not be considered your dependent.

Very likely you will be able to be stationed together because of your family MOS dependent of course so choose wisely once you talk to a Recruiter. Be advised you will be apart from each other during Boot of course and school. If he is not Active duty all bets are off because of all the dependents.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ook&highlight=

We just received word yesterday that he needs to send a letter with a description of his tattoos on it up to... wherever it needs to go (I'm not even sure at this point), but that should be the final step he needs to do to get a waiver for the tattoos, thank goodness! He has had them since his first enlistment, and his old company has since closed out, so trying to find people to vouch for him was proving difficult.

I realize there are no recruiters here, I'm just hoping for a little insight on what could happen. No matter what word I hear on the site I will be contacting a recruiter for confirmation. Thank you for your help and thank you for your service.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your welcome Britt and keep us posted please.

Thank you! Hey, even I might cry in boot camp, but it is going to make me push myself harder than ever and the sweat and tears will be well worth it to earn that title and be a part of that service to our country!

Thank you so much for your input Rocky, and for the link! I will be keeping you all posted. We are hoping to hear confirmation about my husband's reenlistment in the next week, but then again he initially sent the papers back in December, so who knows when we'll actually receive word.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your welcome. I don't have to tell you both just keep pushing forward. I'm here if you both need help. Not only am I a Former Active Duty Marine but a former Tattoo Artist as well lol.

BTW, nice ink !

Others will be by to help also.

Last edited by Rocky C; 06-08-16 at 09:44 AM.

Talk to a recruiter whats the worst they can say?... No? Give it the old college try chances are slim they take you but at least speak to a qualified individual.

Credits
    Savings
    In my humble opinion ? You need to be the mom ! not the Marine !
    When you become a parent? you become secondary to those children's needs !
    God Bless

My opinion and 2 cents the kids will pay the price, not good, Semper Fidelis.

Thank you all for your input. I don't see the kids paying the price for this, we have a great support network so they will be surrounded with plenty of loved ones to help care for them. I will not be forever gone, I will be gone a while training and then unless I deploy it will be basically like a full time job. I have been a stay at home mother for four and a half years now, I am ready to work, and this is where my heart is pulling me. If anything I will be teaching them that having children doesn't meant you can't continue to follow your dreams. It will teach them early on to adapt to change, to be resilient. It's not like they will be sent off far away from mom and dad. Dad will be non-deployable, and two grandmothers will be living in the home.

Thank you for the comments on my tattoo, it's my favorite piece. And MunkyvsRobot, I will definitely be contacting a recruiter, we are just waiting to hear news of my husband's reenlistment. He has finally received paperwork to get a waiver for his tattoos, which will be signed on Monday, and with that there is no reason the reenlistment won't go through. Still, I am waiting on the results just in case.

Why not keep your job as the mom,military spouses are the most important people in the Corps. Anyway goodluck to you and your hubby.
    Semper Fi and godbless you and your family

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Doc h fmf, I will still keep my job as the mother. Just because a mother chooses to work does not make her less of a mother. I've been the military spouse for nine years, I've been the stay at home mother for four and a half. I'm not feeling fulfilled. My original intent before a car accident and then children was to join the military. Now we are at a point in our lives where we have the support to make that happen. I could go full time college and be away from my children all day and then get a "normal" job in my degree and continue to be away from them all day. But that doesn't spark a drive in me like the idea of becoming a Marine does. Yes I might deploy, but I know it's not going to be a deployment anywhere near what my 0341 husband has gone through. We survived then on less support. We'll survive a deployment if it happens. Is it ideal? No. But I believe it's worth it. I'll still be loving my children. I'll still be teaching them life lessons. The difference is I'll be away enough to actually miss them and appreciate the time we're together more. When it comes to spending time with children i believe quality is more important than quantity. When you're with them almost constantly, 12 hours a day 7 days a week, it's hard to give them good quality time because you've been the one dealing with every fight, fit, complaint, need, etc all day over and over and over; so you're spent. You can't appreciate them as much because you're touched out physically and emotionally. This is something I want to do so badly it makes my heart ache for it, and it's something my husband fully supports.

Thread Information