HZ Contract
Create Post

Thread: HZ Contract

HZ Contract

After coming back from MEPS, I received an HZ (recon) contract. I have over a year till I get shipped to boot camp, but i was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to prepare for Recon indoc? My recruiter kept it pretty vague, but essentially told me to work my *** off.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 05-22-16 at 09:20 AM. Reason: No cursing on an " Open Forum "

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am just going to comment on one of your statements for now.

You are a Poolee in the DEP. You stated that you are not going to Boot Camp for over a year. As far as I knew and (that was this morning) you cannot be in the DEP for longer than a year without getting discharged from it and then trying all over again to get back in which is 3 times as hard once you are out.

When did that change Poolee ?

I let the other Marines talk about your guaranteed RECON contract.

I'm a junior in high school and I enlisted as soon as possible. I went to the MEPS in Mechanicsburg on the 17th to take my ASVAB (scored an 88) stayed overnight in a hotel, and woke up at 4:14 am the next morning for my physical and everything else. I got back on the 18th and went home. On the 19th (Thursday) I went back up to my recruiters office to apply for jobs I guess. I filled out one application for an HZ, one for aviation electronics, and one for electronics maintenance. On Friday my recruiter informed me via text that I had got the RECON contract. And yes, it's over a year till I ship to boot camp (ship date 20170626 @0530)

You will sign a contract to be in the DEP. That contract will state you must participate in all mandatory poolee functions. It will also state, if you do not ship to bootcamp within 365 days of that date, you will be discharged from the DEP (and have to begin the process all over again). My guess is, you won't sign that contract till after June 26th when your clock starts counting down.

Never was Recon. But, I know they spend a LOT of time in the water just like Navy SEALS. Most "wash out" of MART (Recon indoc) because of the swimming pool work where they basically drown proof students. So, you obviously want to spend as much time in the pool/water as possible. A lot of that time needs to be with diving fins on. One test students must pass is going up-and-down ladders while wearing fins - to simulate boarding and exiting ship's ladders. These are RECON Marines on training missions:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The OP joined the forum as a " Poolee/DEP " and states that he signed his contract and received " Recon " Top. This question to him I asked is " How can that be ? ".

As far as I know. One can sign a Recon contract. They still must make it through Recon Indoc (MART) and Recon Training before being assigned to a Recon Company. Have heard of Marines graduating bootcamp and then going to Camp Pendleton for MART instead of Infantry Training Battalion (ITB).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once again how can this member be a " Poolee/Dep " and not going to bootcamp for over a year. ? Sworn in ? I don't think so. Waiting for the OP to answer all questions. Wouldn't want false information in the " Ask a Marine Sub-Forum ".

What is your ship date?:

June 26th 2017

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-24-16 at 09:41 AM.

Pay close attention in land nav, be very comfortable in the water, learn extreme discipline. Stay motivated, stay hungry.

I think you're on the right track Rocky, not in DEP yet. Has has not sworn in or signed the contract.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's been 4 days and the OP has not responded. I'll give it another day before this one goes into the black hole of cyberspace.

Like I said before, my ship date is over a year from now, and I did sign an HZ contract. I don't know why that's strange; and yes I have sworn in already.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once again you cannot be in the DEP for longer than 1 year and you are saying that you have sworn in and have an HZ contract signed and are not shipping for over a year.

DELAYED ENTRY PROGRAM

The Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program (DEP) allows young men and women to enlist in the Marine Corps even though they may not begin recruit training for*** up to a year.***

The DEP ensures that all future Marines will report to their Marine Corps Recruit Training Depot ready, both physically and mentally. In the time between signing their contract and officially beginning their training, they will develop a sense of brotherhood through family nights, training events and other activities facilitated by their Marine Recruiter.

Because enlisted men and women do not earn the title Marine until they complete recruit training, the aspiring Marines enrolled in the Delayed Entry Program are called "Poolees." To prepare for the challenges of recruit training, Marine Corps Recruiters train with their Poolees and teach them about the Marine Corps' culture and values.

"The Marine Corps only does it for juniors in high school where they extend it to 410 some days. I think that's a great rule because they get the advantage of jobs over anyone" direct quote from my recruiter.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's good to know that they do that for Juniors in High School.

I'll inform the Marine Corps Recruiting Command which sponsors part of this forum that that info is not widely known ( 410 days in the DEP ).

Thank you for posting that.

Anytime, sorry for the confusion.

Thread Information