Carter: Military can work out 'practical issues' to lift transgender ban
Create Post
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Carter: Military can work out 'practical issues' to lift transgender ban

Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Thursday reiterated his intention to allow transgender people to openly serve in the military, and said he's confident any "practical issues" can be resolved.

"The question of principle we've sort of settled — what matters is people's ability to contribute to our military," Carter said when asked about the military's transgender policy in a question-and-answer session with cadets at the Air Force Academy. "The only barriers we should ever erect to that principle are ones in which there are practical issues that we can't work through."

But Carter said he's sure the Defense Department will be able to resolve those issues in this case.

"We do things in a careful, thoughtful manner, and I'm confident we're going to get to the right place," Carter said.

Carter did not specifically reference what has yet to be resolved. But before the "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays in the military was dropped five years ago, some troops raised concerns about bunking and using facilities such as bathrooms showers with gay or lesbian troops.

The nation is currently in the midst of controversy surrounding laws in states like North Carolina that restrict which public bathrooms transgender people can use. The state and the federal government are now suing each other over the dispute.

Those may be some of the issues that have to be worked through for transgender troops to serve openly.

The Pentagon may also have to sort out other, military-specific questions, such as when transgender troops begin adhering to a new dress code and grooming standards, how their fitness standards would change, and whether the military health care system would provide them with hormone replacement therapy or gender reassignment surgery.

Last July, Carter announced a plan to lift the prohibition on transgender troops. At the time, he said the current regulations "are outdated and are causing uncertainty that distracts commanders from our core missions.

Defense regulations now consider transgender people medically unfit for service. They can be separated honorably if diagnosed with "psychosexual conditions, including but not limited to transsexualism, exhibitionism, transvestism, voyeurism, and other paraphilias," according to Defense Department Instruction 6130.03.

Carter last summer also announced a new policy requiring the Pentagon's top personnel official to sign off on any administrative discharges for troops diagnosed with gender dysphoria or who identify as transgender. That was expected to limit or halt such discharges.

Up to 15,000 of the roughly 2.2 million active-duty and reserve troops now serving may be transgender people, according to estimates from advocates.