SOI - Infantry Training Battalion Medical Question
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy SOI - Infantry Training Battalion Medical Question

I am pretty much confused and devastated. My son, a new Marine, was diagnosed with "exercise-induced asthma." He said he had difficulty breathing on a hike. He graduated Boot Camp and has only been at the School of Infantry a couple of weeks.

I wonder how they diagnose this? We did not see this coming. To be sidelined like this, right now, is heartbreaking. There are no options to stay in now, right?

Similar Threads:

Natalie P
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know much about that but it sounds so sad. I will read what the Marines have to say after.

Thoughts and prayers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Although I'm not a doctor, I would suspect that your son will likely be medically discharged if that diagnoses holds up.

Credits
    Savings
    Prayers much appreciated. Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Do you know if they test extensively...or if they give them another chance to continue?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We are not Drs. here so I can only say what is on my mind. "exercise-induced asthma." ?

These symptoms should have shown up at Poolee functions, Marine Corps Boot Camp, etc. Why at SOI all of a sudden ?

A well respected member here, Tennessee Top is a Respiratory Therapist and perhaps could shed more light.

In either case, Your son will go thru a battery of tests with the Drs. there and if it is then he could be looking at a MED SEP.

Sorry to say but all can be comforted knowing that " Once a Marine, Always a Marine "

His health of course is the most important thing in this world.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us posted.

Credits
    Savings
    [QUOTE=Rocky C;1009717]We are not Drs. here so I can only say what is on my mind. "exercise-induced asthma." ?

These symptoms should have shown up at Poolee functions, Marine Corps Boot Camp, etc. Why at SOI all of a sudden ?

That's what I was wondering also. He trained before Boot Camp, Graduated Boot Camp, and now this happened???

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please keep us posted here. I'm sure there is more to this story. Did he call you and tell you this or did his command ?

Had a Recruit who came to me from MRP Platoon in the late 60's and handed me a stack of paperwork about this astma he had. Told me he could not run more than a few steps and humping was out of the question. My Platoon was preparing to go on a 3 mile hump and I fell them in.

Called out this MRP pickup that I had just received. I took the Guidon from the Guide and handed it to the new guy. I told him he was going to lead the Platoon on the 3 mile hump, he then started giving me all his excuses. I told him he was leading the platoon on the hump and if he went down 80 plus recruits would run over him.

When we returned he came to me and could not believe he had made the hump and was still standing. He graduated and went on his merry way to the NAM. Don't know how medical works these days.

Credits
    Savings
    That is a so awesome. He didn't know what he had in him until he was "given" the opportunity.

He is, and always will be, a United States Marine regardless of the outcome.

Hope all goes well but it don't sound good, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all. I am beginning to wrap my brain around this a little bit better. He is a Marine. He will be alright no matter what.

I did get to talk to him today, so I understand better what has happened--it's the not knowing that gets to me.

Again, thank you all.

Thread Information