screwed out of GI Bill
Create Post

Angry screwed out of GI Bill

Hey Marines,
    my ex,a SgtMaj who served 30 years retired in 2010. He was MEU SgtMaj for 3 floats. on his last float in 2009 he submitted the required paperwork for transferring his GI BILL benefit to our daughter. I received in the mail a letter showing the transfer. (which i lost because I didn't think I needed it, because we have computers these days)

fast forward 6 years to when our daughter is applying to colleges. He called the VA to figure out what we needed to do to receive the benefit. They said they had no record of the transfer!!( according to the VA the transfer can only occur while the Marine is still on active duty) SO I get on the phone with someone at the VA and she explains that "OHH we had a problem with the computer program in the beginning and he probably was one of those whose information was totally lost. and they are allowing those Marines to do the request again" So naturally I think "GREAT,problem solved" She enters the date he retired and comes back and says that he missed the cutoff by a couple of months and sorry not eligible to transfer the benefit." WAit.WHAT???
    My Ex wrote a letter to the board of corrections requesting the right to the benefit transfer.
    DENIED.
    The bottom line is they aren't saying he's not entitled to the benefit. he just cant give it to his children because of a clerical error. unbelievable.
    REad that as " **** you SgtMaj we don't believe you really did the paperwork and we have ****ed up rules.
    ANyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Similar Threads:

At this point I have no suggestions other than your Congress Critter(s) and Senator(s).. I do not believe that your service organizations can do much to help you with this problem. One thing to check is that Discharge / Retirement DD214 (copy #4).. in the "remarks" section near the bottom it MIGHT (and only might) have information to the effect that" SNM reenlisted/extended enlistment on such and such date in order to qualify to transfer educational benefits" or something to that effect... if so, your congress critter and senator can use it to bash DOD and VA soundly for screwing up what should be a very simple program.... Good Luck

Boy does that suck, and why am I not surprised. There has to be a paper trail documenting the transfer. The VA is just too lazy to do the research.

No surprise here. It's common knowledge how screwed-up and incompetent the VA is. At least, they admitted it. In my case, the Social Security Administration is the agency screwing me over. I finally just threw my arms up in the air and said hell with it. Not worth getting my blood pressure up dealing with those village idiots. I think they act that way on purpose so you'll stroke out and they won't have to pay you any benefits - and I'm serious!

Good luck. Let us know if you find any answers. Somebody else may have the same issues in the future.

Thanks Top. I will get some letters written and keep sending til i get a relpy

oh its my firm belief that they regret making the benefit transferable.its costing way too much money and any opportunity they have to screw someone they will

Marine Family Free Member 2 Marine Mom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That figures. cheap skates.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    GI Bill Transfer Rules – Transfer your GI Bill Benefits to Your Spouse or Children

There is good news for those of you out there who are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill — you may be eligible to transfer your GI Bill to a spouse or child if you meet the minimum service requirements and agree to extend your military service obligation.

Update: Changes may be coming soon to transferred GI Bill benefits. Recent legislation would cut the Monthly Housing Allowance in half if the benefit is transferred to children (those who have already made the transfer will be grandfathered into the current system with a 100% housing allowance for children). Those who are thinking about transferring this benefit should do so ASAP to avoid reduced benefits for their children. Read more about the GI Bill transfer changes.

GI Bill Transfer Rules

Who Can Transfer GI Bill Benefits

You can only transfer GI Bill benefits if you are eligible for the Post 9-11 GI Bill and you meet one of the following criteria:
    •Have at least 6 years of service on date of GI Bill transfer request, and you agree to serve 4 more years.
    •Have at least 10 years service and cannot serve 4 more years because of policy or law, but you agree to serve as long as you are able by law or policy (this can come into play for high year tenure rules).
    •Are retirement eligible from August 1, 2009 through August 1, 2012. (Member must sign up for one more year of service starting from the date the GI Bill benefits are transferred).

Who Can Receive Transferred GI Bill Benefits

GI Bill benefits can only be transferred to eligible spouses or children, who must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS).

Spouses.

•Can receive benefits immediately (starting August 1, 2009).
    •Can use benefits for up to 15 years after the service member separates from active duty.
    •May still use the benefits after a divorce if the military member agrees.
    •Spouses will not receive a monthly housing or book stipend while member is on active duty.

Children.

•Can use benefits after the service member completes at least 10 years of service.
    •Can use the benefits while the service member remains on active duty or after the member separates.
    •Is eligible to receive a monthly housing or book stipend while member is on active duty.
    •May receive benefits after marriage.
    •Cannot use benefits unless they have a high school diploma or equivalent, or reach age 18.
    •Cannot receive benefits after age 26.

Other Important GI Bill Transfer Notes

This only applies to the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This does not apply to the Montgomery GI Bill program.

Transfers must be made while the member is still serving. Members are not eligible to transfer benefits once they have already retired or separated from the military.

The military member can transfer up to 36 months of GI Bill benefits and can allocate them among eligible recipients at any time (but only once per month). The service member may also cancel a family member’s use of the benefits at any time. The benefits belong to the service member, and the intent of the GI Bill transfer program is not to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    No surprise here. It's common knowledge how screwed-up and incompetent the VA is. At least, they admitted it. In my case, the Social Security Administration is the agency screwing me over. I finally just threw my arms up in the air and said hell with it. Not worth getting my blood pressure up dealing with those village idiots. I think they act that way on purpose so you'll stroke out and they won't have to pay you any benefits - and I'm serious!

Good luck. Let us know if you find any answers. Somebody else may have the same issues in the future.

Top: WRITE a SCATHING letter to your congress critter and Senator(s) on this one... Social Security problems are the only ones that I know of that will "fix themselves" very quickly after a congressman or senator initiates an "inquiry"... the SSA seems to NOT want any congressional investigations into their doings for some reason.... too bad the same cannot be said for the VA.....

Thread Information