"Captain of Marines"
Create Post

"Captain of Marines"

Hello all! Brand new here, seeking some information. My grandfather was a USMC Captain that served four tours in Vietnam. He died six weeks ago. It was sudden and peaceful, which I'm very grateful for.

At any rate, after his death, I finally got around to reading his Vietnam memoir in full. It's called The Expendables, and he self published it on Amazon. I'd read or heard most of the stories he shared either from him directly or via his personal journals shared among the family.

At the beginning of the memoir, he spoke of the proudest moment of his life being when he was distinguished as a "Captain of Marines." His was well after he had reached the rank of captain. He said that many will reach the rank of Captain but very few will ever be "captain of Marines." He referred to it as the highest calling for a USMC officer.

Im trying to find information about this and I've found absolutely nothing. I've spoken to a couple of active duty Marines and they've never heard of it. I gather it's something that has gone away or was perhaps a rarely given field commendation. Grandpa was awarded this after the battle of Ngok Tavok, if that helps.

Any input would be appreciated, even if it's just a suggestion as to where I'd be better served to look.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry for your loss.

There is no difference. A " Captain of Marines " is the same thing as saying a " Captain in the Marine Corps ".

It's the same thing as saying " Sgt. of Marines, Corporal of Marines " etc. It's the way we word things and show our leadership position.

Google is your best friend if you want to double check what I said. You will find no difference in the term.

How about filling out that complete profile " Marine Friend or " Friend of Marines ".

Thank you and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Rocky C; 04-26-16 at 08:18 AM.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I have never heard that term given to anyone. Maybe it was a title his Company or Battalion gave him in honor of his deeds. Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I have never heard that term given to anyone. Maybe it was a title his Company or Battalion gave him in honor of his deeds. Welcome aboard.
    Makes sense. Could be. It was something specific, in some form of recognition. Probably not official like a rank, but whatever it was meant a lot to my grandfather so I'm beyond curious to gain some understanding of it. I grew up next door to him and we were always very close, and he was obviously my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    There is no difference. A " Captain of Marines " is the same thing as saying a " Captain in the Marine Corps ".

It's the same thing as saying " Sgt. of Marines, Corporal of Marines " etc. It's the way we word things and show our leadership position.
    This is the answer. It's just a way of saying it. The Marine Corps takes pride in each rank actually meaning something. If you are a Sergeant of Marines, you hold authority and responsibility over every Marine below that rank.

In this case, your father was very prideful (rightfully so) in being a Captain in the Marine Corps, or Captain of Marines.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you Lt. Good to see you post Brother

it was a term that we used in the regiments back in the day in the Nam. When I was a Corporal I was a Corporal, but when I was assigned as a squad leader I was told that I was then a Corporal of Marines. I always thought that it distinguished a command rank more or less.

Whenever I've had friends that told me they outranked me, such as being a Sgt I would tell them not so as they were just a Sgt and I was a Corporal of Marines. I think it's a grunt thing.

Here's my contribution to this thread. For what it's worth (not much I know).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fits perfect with the thread Top or should I say " Master Sergeant of Marines " lol.

Thread Information