USMC Reserves, 6th Communication Battalion, Brooklyn NY
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

USMC Reserves, 6th Communication Battalion, Brooklyn NY

Good Evening all,

My name is Shannon, I'm 24 and considering the Reserve route next summer. The information regarding the reserves is a little vague and difficult to wade through. I've scoured the forum for this information, I've yet to find any answers. I had some questions regarding the reserves and if anyone has any information regarding the 6th Communication Battalion in Brooklyn, stationed at Flloyd Bennet Field? The only MOS I was able to deduce turns out of there was 0621 Field Radio Operator. Does anyone on here have any experience with this unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Similar Threads:

No experience with that specific unit.

However, any battalion will have support MOS's such as administration, supply, logistics, motor transportation, etc.

Your best bet is to go sit down with the recruiting station in Brooklyn and talk to the recruiters there. They'll know what MOS's are needed at the reserve unit and can answer any questions about a reserve contract. Good luck.

What TTop said - go talk to the recruiters near that unit. See if they have open billets, what those are, and if they think you'll be a good prospect for recruiting.

if it works out, I can tell you Comm is a good field to be in.

Ask us questions that come up, though, that's why we hang out here. But specifics about that unit I don't have. Somebody on here might, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

I have friends at that unit. Ask me your questions, I'll ask them and answer them here. I know that Service Company, Headquarters Company and Support Company are based at Floyd Bennett Field. As a radio operator, you'd probably go to the Alpha Company detachment of 6th Comm in Amityville, NY.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

LCPL1341,

I don't want to sound lazy or ignorant, but like I mentioned, I had a pretty tough time figuring out what MOS are stationed at Flloyd Bennet. From my understanding, not every MOS is available everywhere for reserves, for instance, I don't think I could do MP and be at Flloyd Bennet. I was basically just looking at a brief overview of what MOS I could look into at that Battalion to have a better understanding of what I should be researching, and other little bits of info, like how often they deploy. My main interest is becoming a Marine first, so please don't think I'm being picky, but I'd like to do something a little different than my civilian career and a bit more adventurous.

Thanks for being willing to reach out to your friends for me, that's a big help.

They have a Facebook page if you're interested "6th Communications Battalion".

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    I have friends at that unit. Ask me your questions, I'll ask them and answer them here. I know that Service Company, Headquarters Company and Support Company are based at Floyd Bennett Field. As a radio operator, you'd probably go to the Alpha Company detachment of 6th Comm in Amityville, NY.
    Outstanding That's a huge help for the OP !

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingIrish30 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

LCPL1341,

I don't want to sound lazy or ignorant, but like I mentioned, I had a pretty tough time figuring out what MOS are stationed at Flloyd Bennet. From my understanding, not every MOS is available everywhere for reserves, for instance, I don't think I could do MP and be at Flloyd Bennet. I was basically just looking at a brief overview of what MOS I could look into at that Battalion to have a better understanding of what I should be researching, and other little bits of info, like how often they deploy. My main interest is becoming a Marine first, so please don't think I'm being picky, but I'd like to do something a little different than my civilian career and a bit more adventurous.

Thanks for being willing to reach out to your friends for me, that's a big help.
    Why do you have to be stationed in New York ? Reservists can travel. Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island.

Your not going to your reserve unit every day.

Credits
    Savings
    I have no opposition to traveling, the only other MOS I had looked into previously (MP) likely would be a no-go, as the closest is in either Ohio or Pittsburgh. The next Reserve component I had come across was 6th Communications in Brooklyn. I'd love to travel out to Connecticut or Massachusetts as well, though, was just curious about the unit.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Understood. Thank you.

as an MP (5811), you do not necessarily have to be assigned to an MP specific unit... just about any "airfield" will have "security forces", usually made up of MP's who are responsible for the security of the airfield, it's personnel and installations.... something that you REALLY, REALLY might want to consider before enlisting to become an MP is that "traditionally" (and I have no idea WHY) the 5811 field is one of the SLOWEST promoting fields in the Corps.... COMM, however, CAN be one of the fastest promoting fields, depending on the unit and location...just something to think about.....

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtop View Post
    as an MP (5811), you do not necessarily have to be assigned to an MP specific unit... just about any "airfield" will have "security forces", usually made up of MP's who are responsible for the security of the airfield, it's personnel and installations.... something that you REALLY, REALLY might want to consider before enlisting to become an MP is that "traditionally" (and I have no idea WHY) the 5811 field is one of the SLOWEST promoting fields in the Corps.... COMM, however, CAN be one of the fastest promoting fields, depending on the unit and location...just something to think about.....
    I had no idea you didn't need to be assigned to an MP Specific Unit to become a MC MP, I was under the impression that you needed to be able to get to the units located in either Pittsburgh or Ohio, that is something to certainly think about. As far as promotion, I'm also keeping Comm on the table, from this bits I've been able to come across regarding Comm in the reserves, I'm pretty interested in it. Thanks for the response!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's what I was trying to tell you in one of my earlier posts about traveling out of New York.

If it was me I would go Comm. Look at my profile and see why lol.

The other thing I wanted to mention is why aren't you going the Officer Route ? You have a degree.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    That's what I was trying to tell you in one of my earlier posts about traveling out of New York.

If it was me I would go Comm. Look at my profile and see why lol.

The other thing I wanted to mention is why aren't you going the Officer Route ? You have a degree.
    Wow, that's an extensive Comm resume. Are you familiar with 0261 at all by any chance? I've read up a bit on it on here, but I've seen a pretty extreme gauge of reviews from 5 second life expectancy, to loving it, nothing really in between.

I've considered the Officer route, but I'm fairly new to my full time career track and I think the initial training may be a little more lengthy than going the enlisted route. Also, I want to be hands on more so in the Reserves and I thought going enlisted would do that for me, but Officer is certainly still on the table. I have about a year an a half to take these things into consideration, but I like to have a plan and a wealth of knowledge before I do anything.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes very familiar. I have a few friends with that MOS. Very, very technical field, huge signing bonus and re-enlistment bonus. You have to know your stuff and be " Spot On ".

Your correct. You either love it or hate it.

I think the school is 8-10 months in Virginia but you can look it up. Anything Comm/Intel with a TSSC is rewarding and converts well $ back into civilian life.

You seem very intelligent from your posts thus far and your outlook on putting all the pieces together is outstanding.

I wish you the best and we are all here to help and guide you on your path.

Of course, the ultimate decision is yours. I'm sure when you get all your ducks in a row it will be a great one, Captain lol.

Thread Information