Did you want a particular job when you joined?
Create Post

Did you want a particular job when you joined?

Did you get it? I am currently a poolee and will see my jobs soon and pick the job field but im not too sure on what I want, I have heard from many DONT go open contract but thats what other people say.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Others can speak to the Open Contract thing, but I will just say that there are so many jobs that you might not have even heard of, any one of which you might like a lot, or even love.

Be open to anything.

A lot of people who come into this section and ask these questions say they would hate this would hate that, hate to be chained to a desk 8 hours a day. But they know next to nothing about the various MOSs. Read up as much as you can about what might be open to you, and you might be pleasantly surprised by some jobs, that are better than you had thought.............

in the olden days, when the Earth was still cooling from its formation, we had no idea what jobs there were, and we had no choice in the matter, not even the field. We took Classification Tests in boot camp and the results, plus the ever-present Needs of The Corps, determined what job we would get......the one I got, I had no idea about, had never even heard of such a thing, and it turned out to be THE best job I ever had, my present one included. So my point is, you just never know what you would like or not like until the occasion presents itself.

Talk with your recruiter about this whole subject of MOSs. But others, still in the Corps, or very recently out, will talk with you about Open Contract. Good luck to you. Be open to the various jobs available to you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    Others can speak to the Open Contract thing, but I will just say that there are so many jobs that you might not have even heard of, any one of which you might like a lot, or even love.

Be open to anything.

A lot of people who come into this section and ask these questions say they would hate this would hate that, hate to be chained to a desk 8 hours a day. But they know next to nothing about the various MOSs. Read up as much as you can about what might be open to you, and you might be pleasantly surprised by some jobs, that are better than you had thought.............

in the olden days, when the Earth was still cooling from its formation, we had no idea what jobs there were, and we had no choice in the matter, not even the field. We took Classification Tests in boot camp and the results, plus the ever-present Needs of The Corps, determined what job we would get......the one I got, I had no idea about, had never even heard of such a thing, and it turned out to be THE best job I ever had, my present one included. So my point is, you just never know what you would like or not like until the occasion presents itself.

Talk with your recruiter about this whole subject of MOSs. But others, still in the Corps, or very recently out, will talk with you about Open Contract. Good luck to you. Be open to the various jobs available to you, though.
    Thanks a lot, I have always been pretty open, with that being said I am one of those "would hate to be behind a desk" guys, one of the many reasons I signed up lol

regardless it is just an honor for me to be in the Marine Corps and I am sure I can adapt to anything.

If there is one thing though it would be a Dog Handler, I hear you have to be MP first though.

How about being a cook and working in a messhall or field kitchen every day? Not many (should say enough) people join the USMC to be a cook. So, most of those positions are filled with open contracts. How lucky do you feel? Remember, there is no changing your mind once the contract is signed.

You're correct about dog handlers. They are MP's sent to K9 school. Everybody wants to be a dog handler so good luck with that.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    OP, even those "desk jobs" can end up looking pretty good, you just never know. A guy who was a poolee here, had all these dreams of being Ricky Recon or Marty Marsoc, and lo and behold he filled out his Dream Sheet re jobs and duty stations and ended up at Camp Lejeune for his entire enlistment. So much for "seeing the world". And he was in Supply. And he ended up loving it, got out, is now in graduate school pursuing an MA of some kind. He talked also about hating desk jobs. LOL. But he had never been exposed to any USMC jobs before, so did not know that he would like it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And as you hinted in your post, the Corps will put you where it needs you most, and you'll be glad to just have the opportunity of serving your country, something not everyone can do, as they exclude big numbers of applicants for one reason or another. So your attitude is great. Becoming a Marine first, job considerations second. That's the only way to get thru this without being hugely disappointed that you didn't get to be stationed at the Pentagon as a bodyguard to some three star general.

that is very true about the desk Job that USMC 2571 posted about,, My Daughter joined the Corps and was sent to supply,, She always told me that being behind a desk would be like prison,, but would up loving it,, and She would up being in charge of flight scheduling and Iwakuni Japan. I have Pictures of Her sitting in the cock pit of a F-18, She also went to school to help Marines with their taxes.. She had her hands in a lot of things.. lol

so you never know..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you for the PM Kevin and congrats. Your status on the forum has been changed to " Poolee/DEP ". Please square away your profile ASAP to reflect the changes.

Best of luck to you.

Love my current job but don't get into the mindset of thinking you will hate every job but one. I used to have my head wrapped around the idea that I will only like the 03 field but after working with 02's, 06's, 08's, and 58's I have come to appreciate what they do and see that every job in the Marine Corps has it's pros and cons. At the end of the day, the best thing about your MOS is that you are a Marine trained to do that job.

Once again thanks for all the replies, my recruiter told me that I am qualified for 3000, 3100, 3300, 1300 and 3500.

Food services is probably the least desirable for me of that list and 3500 is something I am interested in, Motor Transport Marine sounds interesting.

When I see him I will ask him about MP but in the end my main focus is passing boot camp and becoming a Marine first.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I changed your status for you 4 days ago and asked you to square away your profile to reflect the changes. Instead of doing that you just feel the need to go around posting instead. Get it done ASAP.

You will not be told again Poolee...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan14 View Post

Food services is probably the least desirable
    for me on that list

and 3500 is something I am interested in,
    Motor Transport Marine sounds interesting

my main focus is passing boot camp
    and becoming a Marine first.
    many of the "Antique" Marines here
    can tell you just how many times they wished they
    worked closer to a hot meal .

More MP's seemed to be asking favors
    than the cooks i ever knew in the Corps....

Mucho respect for the man with the meals......

sometimes even if it was an MRE

I had no idea what I wanted, or even what I would be good at. In all reality, I was pretty clueless at age 19. I went with what all of the testing pointed me towards and ended up working on radios. I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went from working on radios, to a paging network, to cell phones. The "Big Guy's" timing for me is how I see it.

Reservists get to pick their specific MOS but it is MUCH more limited, active picks the field they want/are eligable for and the Marine Corps picks their specific MOS within the field. I wanted logistics, ended up with supply. I'm not complaining though

Thread Information