What do you look for in a Marine Officer?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you look for in a Marine Officer?

Evening Marines,

I posted awhile ago about going from Enlisted Reserves to Active Duty Officer when I finish earning my degree. I've worked and critiqued myself on the confines of discipline, physical and emotional readiness, and education. I leave for MCRD in July and won't be expected to be back home till probably late this year or next year (Between MCT and then, Communications-Electronics School at Camp Pendleton), and then, my sole purpose will be to be a model Marine and work towards a commission. But as a advice to a "newbie", what would I need to ensure that I am "officer material"? Insight is most appreciated.

Respectively,

N.Rodriguez

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    A seemingly simple question, but it's not simple. Officer material. Innate to a great extent, but it can also be learned, or honed or developed. But the basic quality of LEADERSHIP is already there in a person to begin with.

There is so much to this subject. It is a myth, in my opinion, that a prior service enlisted Marine makes the best officer, by necessity. So the argument sometimes goes. Only those who have followed, can lead. (?). Again, one person's opinion among many: Not necessarily true. Leaders are born, not made, but they can also be made, in a sense, at OCS and at The Basic School.

If a person is officer material, he or she knows it. Again, all this is just my opinion.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    What you could do is sit down with an OSO, Officer Selection Officer, and let him or her tell YOU if you appear to be "officer material". Some are, without even knowing it. Some are not, although they may think they are officer material.

I think it's a very complicated subject, overall. Basically, being a leader comes from within. You either have it or you don't. It's hard to acquire if you don't already have it in you.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Once more. If your "sole purpose" is to become an officer, then consider doing that at the very beginning rather than going the enlisted route.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    I agree. Officers are born, not made. But the improvment on their leadership skills occurs at Officer Candidate school and the six month Basic School

Learn, and put into practical application, our leadership traits and principles. Sounds simple enough - till you have real live Marines you're responsible for every day. Besides that, learn to delegate. The sooner you learn you cannot do everything yourself, the better and more effective officer you'll be. Delegating is not easy (because you're giving away control to someone else). But it shows your subordinates you have trust and confidence in their abilities and gives them the opportunities they need to grow as individual Marines (nobody likes to be stifled). Your directions must be clear and concise so they know what you expect from them. Then, you must hold them accountable for their successes and failures. Took me a long time to learn how to delegate appropriately (cause I didn't want to give up my control or seem weak). But when I finally did, it paid big dividends both for myself and my subordinates. Officers are not supermen and cannot do all things alone. The successful ones recognize all the experience and talent they have at their disposal, and take full advantage of it every opportunity they get. My favorite officer of all time fits this description. He was never afraid to let us fall on our faces - but he was always right there to pick us up again and assign us another task because he had confidence in our abilities to get the job done.

I've been noted by Marine NCOs and Officers (OSO, NROTC board, etc.) down here at RSS Fort Lauderdale, that I showed the skills and the "know how" (I'm not in anyway bragging) to become a Marine Corps Officer. I just wish to become an enlisted Marine reservist, live and develop on the Marine Corps' values, and direct them as I am given the chance to lead as a Second Lieutenant onwards. I've never doubted my skills, but as Lee Marvin has stated in the past "No Marine wants to not measure up to par in combat and peacetime and let a brother Marine down."

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is a distinct pride that comes with becoming, and being, an officer of Marines. Marine Officers learn and adopt leadership skills that have been tried and proven in every conflict this nation has seen. From these skills Marine Officers develop their own leadership styles and adapt them to best suit the needs of the mission and their Marines.

Mission success is heavily reliant on the decisions made by Marine Officers. When all eyes are on them, Marine Officers will have the presence to inspire, the judgment to command and the decisiveness to prevail. These officers fight shoulder to shoulder with the Marines they lead, instilled with the confidence to stand in front of—and in charge of—this elite warrior class.

Being a Marine Officer is not just about leading Marines, it's about earning their respect. So physical and mental toughness, moral courage, unselfishness, teamwork, commitment and a belief in yourself are essential to your success at OCS.

Honor, courage, commitment.

Best of luck to you.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good points, Rocky. OP, keep us updated. Sit down with an OSO.

what you should probably do is stop worrying about being an officer. You've already stated you are going enlisted right now with the hopes of becoming an officer at a later date. So instead of asking and worrying about stuff that doesn't pertain to your current situation you should probably start focusing on recruit training.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Another good point---since the officer aspect of this is way down the road.

Comm school is in 29 Palms, not Camp Pendelton; that's first. To answer your question of what I look for in an officer here is a short list:

1) He knows his role as a leader and doesn't think he knows his NCO and junior Marines' jobs better than them.

2) He doesn't think he's better than the enlisted.

3) He's physically fit and leads by example in all his actions.

4) Confident, articulate, intelligent, has all those intangible leadership qualities you expect to find in a Marine officer.

5) Takes interest in his Marines and their jobs. I don't mind an officer coming down to my work space on his own volition and asking me about my job, what I do, and taking genuine interest in it.

6) Looks out for his Marines.

That being said, I'll reiterate what was said previously in this thread; worry about boot camp, MCT, MOS school, and being a productive member of your unit first. The officer thing isn't really something you should be concerned about this early in the game. However, being a good officer isn't rocket science, it isn't hard, and there is no secret scientific formula to it; it's actually common sense for the most part. Either you have it or you don't. OCS detects that ability, TBS brings it out of you, and your Marines validate it.

My apologies, it was Twentynine Palms (Got it confused). I know its a long way down the road, but I thought the same thing with high school and being able to enlist. It crept on me quick as I'm sure it did with many others, plus taking advanced DE college courses in high school means I will be taking less time (3 Years for a Bachelor's Degree) to finish college at FIU. I don't want to be the guys (I won't point out on the web) that talk the good fight, but lack in every way (Character, education, fitness, etc.) in what it truly means to be an Officer of Marines...or even, to be a Marine in that matter. I'm prepared for boot camp, MCT, Comms school, etc. (I won't say I'm not worried about what may go down, but nonetheless, I'm ready)

You're either going to be garbage or you aren't. That's it, asking questions on a forum about what people look for in an officer isn't going to change anything lets be real here.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ruit-Training-!

Read this first, all about recruit training and what to expect. No more cart before the horse, as munkyvsrobot puts it.

Thread Information