How to get my run time down to 9 minutes flat?
Create Post

How to get my run time down to 9 minutes flat?

So far my IST score is perfect except for that damn run time.
    23 pull ups
    140 crunches
    9:24 1.5 mile

I run often, and do sprints as well as long distance. But I still can't seem to lower my time to 9 minutes.

I ship August, so I have time. Any advice?

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Run in sand. 3 miles at a time every other day for a month. Then run on pavement. You will see the difference.

The fast twitch muscles in your legs need to be trained to work hard and faster. You do that with sprint work (which you say you're already doing).

What helped me with sprints was going to a track (most schools have one circling the football field) and running 220/440 yard sprints. Run a leg then walk a leg. Use a stop watch to keep track of your times/progress (recorded in a journal). Always sprint at 100% effort.

Good luck.

Keep a log (like Top said) and, if you don't have one, find a training partner - sounds like you're basically doing the right stuff, you may just need to be a little more systematic about it.

I'm <ahem> over 50, and over the past year I was able to get my run from nothing (I was completely shut down from running for three months from a strained back) to a mile, then up to three, and got the time gradually back to 9:00 miles.

Slow, steady work, keep a record of it, and read up on when and how to plan hard weeks, easy weeks, endurance work, speed work... there are lots of resources out there.

Keep at it and you'll be fine.

also try opening you gate on you run more, the larger the step the faster the time, a lot of people make the mistake of using shorter steps but the body has to work harder. the just makeing a little bigger step will make the time go down and the body or legs won't have to work any harder..

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    The fast twitch muscles in your legs need to be trained to work hard and faster. You do that with sprint work (which you say you're already doing).
    Do this ^^^

I got my run time down from 21 minutes for 3 miles to 17 minutes incorporating sprint work. It took about six months, six days a week.

holy cow, I just check my post,, #5,, it reads like I was on a three day drunk or something.. wow...lol

but taking bigger steps will help out.. that part is right..lol

I usually do weighted vest sprints once a week, and long distance twice.
    Do I need to up the amount of sprints I do every week?
    A lot of the answers say do it every other day, so would that be best?

I know this will sound contradictory. But, there is such a thing as overtraining - which often leads to overuse injuries (common for Marines). I had to have surgeries on both legs for a running overuse injury (chronic compartment syndrome). Overuse injuries are common in bootcamp and ITB/MCT afterwards (mostly stress fractures, shinsplints, etc). Your body needs rest to recuperate. It can be a difficult thing to judge, but you need to find a balance between strenuous exercise (improving on strength, speed, and endurance) and rest. Otherwise, you're setting your body up for failure.

Thread Information