Lawmakers move to abolish the draft
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Lawmakers move to abolish the draft

As Congress begins debate on whether to force women to register for the draft, a bipartisan group of House lawmakers has a compromise solution: Get rid of it altogether.

On Thursday, a group of four representatives — Mike Coffman, R-Colo.; Jared Polis, D-Colo.; Peter DeFazio, D-Ore.; and Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif. — introduced new legislation to abolish the Selective Service System, calling it an outdated and unneeded program.

“Maintaining the Selective Service simply makes no sense,” Coffman, a Marine Corps veteran, said in a statement. “In 1973, the last draftee entered the Army and since then, despite the first Gulf War and subsequent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Pentagon has never considered reinstituting the draft.”

The idea comes amid dueling proposals from other lawmakers either requiring or continuing to exempt women from registering for the draft for the first time in U.S. history.

In December, Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced plans to open all infantry and combat-unit positions to women, provided they meet gender-neutral job standards. The military’s past prohibition on women serving in those roles also provided a legal backing for excluding women from registering for the draft.

Coffman said re-opening of that debate provides a timely opportunity to get rid of the Selective Service System. Agency activities cost taxpayers roughly $23 million each year, and a 2012 Government Accountability Office report questioned whether the system could even provide a viable list of draftees to the Defense Department if needed.

Military officials have repeatedly said that reverting to the draft from the current all-volunteer system would have significant negative impact on troop training, readiness and quality.

DeFazio noted that young men who fail to register for the draft face penalties, including denial of federal student loans and potential criminal punishment.

“Not only will abolishing the Selective Service save the U.S. taxpayers money, it will remove an undue burden on our nation’s young people,” he said in a statement. “We need to get rid of this mean-spirited and outdated system and trust that if the need should arise Americans — both male and female — will answer the call to defend our nation.”

Defense Department officials have said they are reviewing draft rules and regulations, and expect to issue recommendations in coming months. The issue is expected to be a key point of controversy in the annual defense authorization bill debate.

It has also become a talking point on the Republican presidential campaign trail. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio have both offered support for having women register, while Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has voiced strong opposition to the idea.

Similar Threads:

If there is a next world war no one will have to worry about it anyway. If we have a world war it will be the end of the world.

How about we go back to the draft? Everybody does 2-3 years of some kind of service, whether it's military or a new version of the CCC or something else, no exemptions. Old idea, I know, but I'd be for it!

Maybe I was born after my time, I'm never quite sure I fit...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    If there is a next world war no one will have to worry about it anyway. If we have a world war it will be the end of the world.
    It's coming Gunny, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    How about we go back to the draft? Everybody does 2-3 years of some kind of service, whether it's military or a new version of the CCC or something else, no exemptions. Old idea, I know, but I'd be for it!

I agree,, I think that would be a great idea..

I agree with both Pat and Andy! However, our congressman and senators wouldn't approve t, because their sons, daughters, and grandchildren would be subject to either the draft or a work program.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Correct !

Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    Totally agree with the above and always have.
    I recall registering with the selective service prior to joining The Corps.
    I have no problem with everyone serving in some capacity like the noted examples above.

Yep....politicians certainly wouldn't want their loved ones having to chip in....so to speak.

Mas cafe para mi....back to it.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Well let's see! Those same politicians who think Women should be in combat roles shouldn't have a draft or selective system for women. I think that's total bull....!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Should that happen....the old farts Battalion is standing by. I'll be happy to lead the charge. Of course, I'll have to sit down and catch my breath every 50 yards, which will give those old Marines in wheelchairs and using canes time to catch up. Those on oxygen will be given the position of tail-end Charlie.

Count me in! I'll need a portable C-pap however, but I can still pull a trigger.

Marine Family Free Member 2 Marine Mom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hope your wrong about another world war, but, im pretty sure your not. I have 2 marines,almost 3, but, got him talked out of it, and into college, although, I think, he'd be a good candidate, for your computer, war, technology. He's a wizard with a computer. both my marines,went in on their own, although I think it would do our youth alot of good, and might even straighten out the country, again. But, I think when they sign themselves in, you are more apt to get the cream of the crop. and better, Marines, or what ever they go into.

Quote Originally Posted by SandhurstDelta View Post
    The Israelis have a great system where everybody who is physically qualified serves 2 to 3 years including both young men and young women. Due to physical infirmities this ends up being about a 50% draft. C.O.'s (conscientious objectors) can do office or medical or maintenance work. The Israelis have proved that it works. If Bernie wants free college for everyone this can be given in the form of a new G.I.Bill then. I do not see why young women cannot be drafted. I cannot see why everyone physically qualified should not serve in uniform. Some people will naturally prefer office work while others prefer the thrill of combat arms and flight. After 2 to 3 years then go back home to college or trade school with your G.I.Bill. That's my notion of an ideal program. I cannot see why anyone should be given free college without doing something first to earn it.

As far as another big war, I am sure Putin and the Ayatollah have each separately already got big plans for that. Putin is starting to look like another Hitler and the Ayatollah like another Mussolini. History always repeats itself and we are due.
    I agree this works for me
    the second part, if you notice it always starts to happen when some week, defence cutting Liberal ( ether R or D) gets into office..

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Should that happen....the old farts Battalion is standing by. I'll be happy to lead the charge. Of course, I'll have to sit down and catch my breath every 50 yards, which will give those old Marines in wheelchairs and using canes time to catch up. Those on oxygen will be given the position of tail-end Charlie.
    ROFL,, I'm with ya, but you won't be the only one having to stop and catch his breath..

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    ROFL,, I'm with ya, but you won't be the only one having to stop and catch his breath..
    We can all be Snipers, One Shot One Kill, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information