NROTC: some questions
Create Post

NROTC: some questions

Hello, whomever may be reading this. I am currently a highschool Junior in the second semester of my school year. My plan is to go to college and get a bachelors, hopefully under the NROTC scholarship. I want to do the marine option and I am determined to become an aviator.

According to most sources, now is the time that I want to start scheduling meetings and applying for NROTC. My question is, at what point of applying for NROTC and the scholarship am I bound to a commitment to the Marines? When do I 'sign the dotted line'?

Another question I have is if I am able to go to boot camp if I'm going to do NROTC. I'm told it's not mandatory and that there's some alternative training course in college that is 'strongly recommended', but I would like to do it. I feel that it is part of the experience, and in order to see myself as a rightful part of the Marines I would like to prove that I can get through their basic training. Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
    -Joshua

Similar Threads:

I'll address the 2nd part of your question concerning bootcamp. You WILL NOT go to bootcamp as part of an NROTC unit in college. Your right of passage into the Marine Corps will be the officer equivalent of bootcamp called OCS. You will be REQUIRED to complete OCS in the summer between your junior and senior year of college. The only way you'll actually become a Marine officer is by completing OCS. Dont worry, you'll have to "prove yourself" at OCS; it's harder than bootcamp, and people who don't make the cut get kicked out and sent home. NROTC is there to give you a commission as a Marine officer, bootcamp is for enlisted Marines. They're two completely separate paths.

Yes, now is the time to start asking about the NROTC scholarship. Find out which colleges you want to attend, find out if they have an NROTC unit, and get in touch with the unit through the contact info they will most likely provide on the schools page. They'll set you in the right direction and guide you in what you will need to do to get a spot and possibly a scholarship.

I had been under the impression that there was a pre-OCS training regimen. I am aware, however, that OCS is going to be very challenging. I look forward to it. Upon looking it up I saw that between a quarter and a third of people can't make it through OCS.

I will get on that as soon as possible. I'll see what my school guidance counselor can do for me and look into the college I have my eye on and see what for contact info they can give me.
    Thanks for replying.
    -Joshua

Thread Information