Unique situation and looking for advice
Create Post

Unique situation and looking for advice

hey guys,

I want to join the marines but I am getting close to the cutoff age.I just turned 27 last month. I'm in college (full-time) right now but still have 2 years left before I will have my degree. I wanted to go in as an officer but that won't be happening because I won't be done before I hit the age you need to commission by.

I have been thinking about possibly dropping out of college so I can just enlist before I hit the cutoff and finish my degree while I'm serving. I know that it is unlikely I would be able to get an age waiver to attend OCS since the Corps is downsizing right now.

Should I just dropout of school and enlist? Stay, get my degree and try to get an age waiver? Or just give up all together and look at other branches to attend Officer school?

Thanks and I appreciate all replies to my post.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1. You can address us as " Marines " There are male and female Marines on this forum.
    2. Marines always has a capital " M ".
    3. It's up to you. We can give advice but it ultimately is up to you.
    4. Visit a Recruiter in person and ask.

Best of luck but I think you already know the answers to your questions.

Thank you and sorry about that Sir. Is there anyway I can re-edit the post to make corrections?

Quote Originally Posted by baltimoreUSMC View Post
    Thanks and I appreciate all replies to my post.
    IMO....realistically...
    Not to say what you are contemplating absolutely can't be done to earn the coveted title of being a U.S. Marine but I think you've long missed your window of opportunity.
    It's a young man's game for many reasons....always has been.
    I'd say continue on your academic path.

Whatever you choose....do it well.

Carry on...

Stay and finish school. Your OCS/bootcamp ship sailed a long time ago.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    finish school!!!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I've said it numerous times on here before.....

I commend you for wanting to join and serve but I can tell you that you do NOT want to be a 28-30 year old PFC/LCpl in the Marine Corps.

The things this poster has posted doesn't add up to me. Basically he has been out of high school for nine years, and still has a couple of years to go in college . If he was so gung-ho on joining the Corps why didn't he do it earlier? Sounds like a troll to me.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    The things this poster has posted doesn't add up to me. Basically he has been out of high school for nine years, and still has a couple of years to go in college . If he was so gung-ho on joining the Corps why didn't he do it earlier? Sounds like a troll to me.
    I was a similar case....I was 23, not 27 but similar situation I'm sure. I'll be honest I was scared, we had just done the invasion of Iraq in '03 when I was graduating highschool......I wish I would've done it now but hindsight is always 20/20

I'll echo what everyone else said; finish school, it's a no-brainer. The Army Officer cutoff age is 34 (you have to be commissioned before 34), so there is always that option.

Thread Information