Boot camp and battalions?
Create Post

Boot camp and battalions?

Hello Marines. Today a fresh boot came to our rss for pt, he told us a lot of stuff, and we asked a lot of questions. He told us one thing that I'd like to verify if true or just an exaggeration/misconception by his part.

He told us about how 1st battalion is somewhat babysitted but kind of crazy, where they have their own chow hall but you can find DI's runninb and screaming on the tables.

2nd battalion is the normal one, where their main focus is to make marines, without any of the crazy things done in the other battalions (he was in 2nd battalion so I'm guessing he may be biased)

And 3rd battalion is really intense, where recruits come out the strongest, they get IT sessions for no real reason and when recruits want to fight, they're sent to gear up and fight in the laundry room (some of the things he told us)

How true is all of this? Can you elaborate on your experience?

Similar Threads:

I would say it's true. 3rd herd's motto is "3rd battalion makes machines" and their DI's have the reputation for being the hardest on recruits. Of course, you have no choice where you end up so it's really a moot point (the battalion you're assigned to depends on when you arrive at the depot).

Now. Recruit training will be integrated with 4th battalion (females) at some point this year at PI. With female DI's and female recruits mixed in, one would have to assume these stereotypes are subject to change. BTW, female DI's have the reputation for being badasses themselves (many things male recruits are allowed to do, female recruits are not). If you go to PI, you can judge for yourself. There has been talk about integrating bootcamp at San Diego too but don't know how serious it is at this early stage.

I was a 3rd BN recruit, I can only speak to specifics of 3rd BN training. They used to tell us it was harder physically than the other two Battalions, but I personally don't believe that's true. It's most likely things they say to "motivate" us. I heard from Marines who were in other BN's that their drill instructors told them the same thing. Basically, everyone thinks they're the best. Now to address some myths:

1) We never got to "gear up and fight in the laundry room." That's complete BS. When recruits did but heads and come to blows, the DI's stopped it, and IT'd all of us. Later in training, they would just IT the recruits who but heads.

2) We did get IT'd alot early on as a group, and people got selected randomly for IT sessions on the Quarter deck before lights. I've been IT'd in a group or platoon a lot, but individually not so much. They didn't really notice me. It actually seemed like 2nd BN got IT'd more than us every time we went past their barracks on the way to Peatross Parade Deck. Having spoken with Marines from all 3 male battalions after bootcamp, I've come to the conclusion that no one got IT'd worse or more than the other.

3) 1st BN does have their own chowhall. 2nd and 3rd share a chowhall with 2nd on one side, 3rd on the other. Chowhall in bootcamp was what you'd expect it to be. Get in, have 2 mins to eat, get out. Sometimes we had less time to eat, sometimes we had more time to eat.

Conclusion: Each BN turns out the same product, a basically trained Marine. After bootcamp, no one really gives a sh*t what you did in bootcamp and the whole "which BN is toughest" thing dies out considerably the longer you've been in the fleet. So don't get wrapped around the axle about which BN does what, and who trains the hardest. Each BN has the same exact training schedule and required events needed IOT become Marines.

As much as I hate to say this, a lot of new Marines are still in that post bootcamp haze and they tend to sort of....embellish certain things. In the grand scheme, boot camp is rather easy. Sound off, do what your told, move fast, don't take anything personally, and you'll graduate. Everything is planned out for you and you're micromanaged down to the minute. All you essentially do is eat, sh*t, train, sleep and you have nothing else to worry about. I'd even go so far as to say, bootcamp will be among the easiest things you do in the Marine Corps as long as you push yourself.

You don't rate to call anyone a fresh boot you aren't even a shower shoe yet let alone recruit. you are a poolee that individual is a Marine and you will refer to him as such.

For everything else refer to post 3&4

When did hey start having a laundry room?

^^^probably around the same time DI's started swearing an oath to their CO they would not haze recruits (might upset them).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post

When did hey start having a laundry room?
    Laundry rooms were started in the "NEW BRICK BARRACKS"

and from what i remember at the time, the brick barracks were
    built first at the rifle range....

OH, and WE DID gear up and do LOTS of good things in them
    "LaundryRooms" with a whole platoon

summer 1963 -

ED,

Tried to send you a message. You box is full; need to empty it. I was in PLT. 257 in 63; 2BN, L Company; just behind you.

I'd say it's complete BS - recruits barely know what's going on in their series/company let alone what's happening in other battalions at the depot. They hear, repeat, and embellish ****house stories and rumors. Besides, you have no control whatsoever which battalion you end up assigned to. LCPL1341 gave you the scoop that you'll need to know.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There has always been scuttlebutt on what you posted.

The bottom line is concentrating on earning the EGA and being the best Marine you can be. That's what matters and that is what you should go back to your buddies with at the RSS.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I was in 3rd Bn. in 67. At that time 3rd bn. was supposed to be the roughest bn. in boot camp. From then to now, I still hear the same thing.

^^^same here. Platoon 3062, Kilo Company, 3rd Herd, 1972. And I still hear the same thing as well (from Marines and DI's - during my career, I knew and worked with many former DI's from all battalions spanning a couple decades). Still in contact with a couple of those DI's today - one is a retired SgtMaj and works at 29 Palms. Maybe it's all just a myth.

Thread Information