Marines’ special operations command gets first female applicants
Create Post
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Marines’ special operations command gets first female applicants

Female Marines are already lining up to join one of the Corps' most elite communities just weeks after the military lifted its decades-long ban barring women from serving in combat roles.

So far, at least three female Marines have contacted Marine Corps Special Operations Command recruiters to see if they have what it takes to become a Raider, according to MARSOC officials. But the decade-old Marine spec ops command is now accepting applications from all communities across the force, said Capt. Barry Morris, a MARSOC spokesman.

And as long as women can meet the standards, they can earn the title of Marine Raider, he said.

“No matter the gender, all critical skills operators will receive the same level of training.”

“MARSOC remains committed to sustaining and improving our combat effectiveness through the systematic application of our standards,” Morris said. “With clearly articulated and codified standards, MARSOC will enhance its ability to screen and select the best and most fully qualified Marines to become critical skills operators and special operations officers, increasing the overall combat readiness of our force.”

Morris said the next MARSOC assessment and selection process is scheduled for August, so that is the earliest women will be screened.

If they meet qualifications, Marines applying to become Raiders must first undergo the rigorous initial three-week preparatory and orientation course, where candidates are indoctrinated in the world of critical skills operators.

If successful, they then undergo a three-week assessment and selection course, which stretches physical and mental endurance to the max through ruck marches, land navigation, swimming and mental aptitude tests.

Candidates who make it through these phases will receive orders to attend the next available nine-month Individual Training Course, where they well hone their skills to become full-fledged special operators.

The news that MARSOC received its first female applicants, which was first reported by Military.com, follows a 2015 review of MARSOC training standards. Maj. Gen. Joseph Osterman, MARSOC's commander, told Marine Corps Times in February 2015 that the review was meant to ensure the command had "a good objective set of gender-neutral standards." “No matter the gender, all critical skills operators will receive the same level of training,” Morris said.

MARSOC solicited input from the federal Office of Personnel Management to ensure objective standards were in place ahead of the January deadline.

The Marine Corps created gender-neutral standards for 29 other military occupational specialties in October, about two months before Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced that all military jobs would open to women in 2016.

Any Marine interested in pursuing a path in special operations is encouraged to contact MARSOC recruiting to see if he or she has what it takes.