Once a Marine - Always a Marine - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I have a question hope right place , property tax exemption application. on 5a person who also cccupies property as primarty residence, besides my wife i have my daughter that stays more than goes, should i list her or not,wondering why they want to know more people the better or what? thank you. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by kaelobo View Post
    I have a question hope right place , property tax exemption application. on 5a person who also cccupies property as primarty residence, besides my wife i have my daughter that stays more than goes, should i list her or not,wondering why they want to know more people the better or what? thank you. Bob
    Try this site, and/or ask a Tax Att. Any other advice would quite frankly be unreliable, and if you used it, and it was wrong, the IRS, at your audit, when told, "Joe Blow said it was so", would laugh you right out of the office.

http://www.irs.gov/help/page/0,,id=120294,00.html

From one Marine to all you Other Marines Thank you for your service

I'll never forget, it was 1979. I'd gotten out in 1977 and joined a police department. I had just gotten home to my apartment after working our 3rd watch. Which was 2000hrs to 0400hrs. I'd just walked in the door when I heard screeching tires and CRASH. I looked out the window and saw a car backing away from my parked car. I thought, great! some SOB is about to hit and run my car! I grabbed my off duty weapon from my holster. Which I had just taken off my belt and thrust in in my waist band. I ran out to see the tail lights two blocks away. I had grabbed my girlfriends car keys, afraid my car wouldn't be drivable and jumped in to her car. We had just put an alarm in her car as it had been prowled the week before. (The joys of living in a large city!) The alarm went off. The driver of the fleeing car heard the siren and turned in to a parking lot of a 7-11 store. I was on him in an instant. The driver was drunk. (Surprise!) He got out of his damaged car and realized I was not driving a police car, nor was in uniform. But I'd blocked his car in with mine. So he couldn't back up. He instead walked in to the store. I followed him. I IDed myself as an officer and told him he was under arrest for Hit & Run. He tried to walk away and I grabbed his arm at the elbow. He tried to spin and land a sucker punch on me. While he missed my head, he knocked my badge from my hand and it skittered off under the candy rack. The fight was on. He would throw hay-makers at my head. I delivered some painful body blows. The store clerk started shouting to "Take it out side" I told him I was an officer and to call 911. The drunk I was fighting with was yelling "He's not a cop" I had the guy pressed up against the beer cooler and his face pressed up against the glass. I'd taken the fight out of him, ****ed at myself that I'd left my cuffs with my holster and would of trussed him up a while before but I'd no cuffs on me. I was tired. When I saw the blue lights of the cavalry arriving. I recognized the arriving officers as coming from my precinct and knew them. All the while, the drunk AH was screaming I was not a cop. Then.... In a low voice so only I could hear. "You f**ing AH pig.. I bet you were a Marine before you were a cop!" I felt like doing a leg sweep on that jerk.. But after I'd calmed down. Thought, maybe it's not a bad thing really. So, I told the 1st watch officers that if they'd transport. I'd do all the paper. So the joke was on the drunk. I got four hours OT. He plead out for Hit&Run, DWI, DWLS and resisting. and I got another four hours OT when I went to court to see him plead. Oh.. I found he missed my car when he crashed and hit the landlord's car. So it was a win all the way around. I never went without cuffs while armed again.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtfowler View Post
    I understand completely Super Dave, Bumper stickers on my vehicles, Marine flag flying at the house, Marine Stuff hanging all over my cubicle (foxhole)

don't you mean fighting-hole?

scmrqz, you do know that the post you quoted is dated.........01-19-04, 10:37 PM
    ....don't you?

lol my bad. i recently opened up my account and i didn't know that it was that old.

I had only been out of the Corps a month and was looking for a job. I went to work with a high school buddy who was interning from college with a piping contractor at a power plant construction site. Said his boss might be interested. I remember going into his office, assuming parade rest in front of him. He asked if I had been "in the service". I told him "Yes Sir, the Marine Corps"...he said..."You're hired. Brad, show him what to do". He didn't ask anything else, just welcomed me aboard.

There's a lesson that experience. There is a pride inside a Marine which cannot be hidden, but shows in how we walk, talk, act, dress, our willingness to take on responsibility, to give 110% in what we do, whatever that may be, etc. Over the years, something I've reminded my peers at my job has been "if you're going to talk the talk...walk the walk, if not, sit down, shut up, and get out of the way".

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    I've been out of the Corps a year longer than I was in (in four, out eighteen), and I still don't carry anything in my right hand, unless it's absolutely necessary. After all, you never know when you'll have to salute someone.
    "The Marines Hymn" still gives me cold chills, and a picture of Mount Suribachi brings a tear to my eye.
    I always stand at attention for the national anthem, with hand over my heart. I don't put my hands in my pockets when walking, and walking in step is a must.
    A rack is still a rack (not for hanging hats), a head is still a head (not the one on your shoulders), and the deck is still the deck (we're not talking sailboats, either).
    At the office, co-workers think I'm crazy, using terms like guard mail (instead of interoffice correspondence), direct order (instead of directive), and locked on (instead of understood). The task at hand is always a "mission," and no mission is ever too tough.
    Even the days aren't long enough. Not that I complain about a 9-to-5 job, or working regular hours; I don't. But it seems that others - civilians - are always complaining about how hard and/or horrible their work is. Get real. Join the Marine Corps....
    A headache, stomach ache, or cold might keep the average employee home. Calling in sick, except in case of rare disease or disaster, is out of the question for a Marine. Being late is equally unsat. (What's that? Ask a Marine.)
    The word "Sir" involuntarily rolls off my lip when addressing senior management. Some think it's great; others don't care for it at all. (Remember the first sergeant's cry? "Don't call me 'Sir', I work for a living!") At any rate, I find myself explaining that it's "ingrained Marine Corps training," which is always a door opener for further conversation.
    Such a statement can also be beneficial during other interactions, such as those with police officers. Fortunately, my experience in that area is limited, but any mention of "Marine" is usually a good icebreaker and lead in to conversation about the Corps. It seems that there's a mutual respect between the Police and the Marines; many are Marines (former and reserve). Not everyone can be a Marine, and if you are, say so. A Marine bumper sticker in the window and dog tags hanging in the rearview mirror can also go a long way.
    Speaking of bumper stickers, have you ever noticed how many there are out there? Hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, proudly displayed on cars and trucks from New York to California. Marines are everywhere.
    And when they're not in their bumper-stickered vehicles, you can otherwise spot them in their bright, red and gold USMC jackets, caps (not hats), T-shirts, and other assorted accessories. But not all Marines are that easily recognizable. Some garb is understated in black, silver, green, or camouflage. Designs range from a simple Marine Corps emblem, to the Tasmanian Devil, or a leatherneck tattoo, to an elaborate display of Marine weaponry. Sayings may include "Once a Marine, always a Marine", "Semper Fi" (do or die), or any variation thereof. The words may be different, but the theme is always "Marine".
    Marines will proudly inform you, and anyone else who happens to be listening, that they were in the Corps. Their comment may have no connection with the present conversation or situation, at least not to the common ear, but anything can, and will, rouse memories in a Marine.
    You could be in a crowded doorway, taking refuge from a storm, and a 40-something gentleman tells you he doesn't need an umbrella because he was a Marine, and compared to the monsoons in Southeast Asia or Okinawa, this downpour is just a sprinkle.
    Or the moving man mentions in passing that he developed strength and endurance in the Corps. And there's the real estate agent, who points out, with pride, his previous service, when you pass by the local Marine monument.
    From city to city, women in grocery lines and beauty parlors tell stories about their children, grandchildren, nephews and nieces who are, or were, Marines. From barroom to bowling alleys, from boat to backyard barbecue, fathers and grandfathers vividly recall life in the Corps to anyone who will listen.
    Marines will seize any opportunity to volunteer information about their adventures in the Corps. They may casually note their branch of service, or unload an entire bag of sea stories. Fortunately, most folks don't mind unless, that is, they find themselves in the company of two or more Marines. In that case, they can forget getting in a word edgewise.
    And remarkably, Marines always seem to find each other. In the midst of any crowd, two leathernecks will somehow get together, and when they do, it's an instant reunion. Forget formal introductions; these men are brothers. Call it "Marine bonding."
    I recently attended a business conference (not Marine related) and found myself at a roundtable discussion. Actually, it was a luncheon, but the conversation was supposed to be business. Somehow, someone mentioned "Marine," and the gears immediately, and permanently changed. Another gentleman, who also happened to be a Marine, wanted to know what battalion, when, where served, with whom, how long. Of course, he too, was asked to share his case history.
    None of the other people at the table, who included a Navy corpsman, Army sergeant major, and Air Force pilot, could compete. In fact they tried to offer tidbits about their service, but a mere "Oh really?" or "That's nice" was the only reaction they could get from the Marines. Interestingly, the non-Marines didn't seem to be perturbed. They were too busy listening to the sea stories.
    Occurrences like these are not rare. In fact, they're probably the norm. Esprit de corps transcends the barriers of time and space, religion, and race. A Marine is a Marine. Once a Marine, Always a Marine. It's training you never outgrow, and a brotherhood you never forget.
    GAME SET and MATCH!!!! beautifully worded.

I work at the VA and i see veteran patients all day, i have a small Marine Corps Shrine at my desk, there is no doubt i am a Marine when they come to my desk to check it. and i almost always get it right, 90 percent of the time i can tell if someone in front of me is a Marine. i never say a word but after they check in they always look at me and say Semper Fi Marine and i say to myself I KNEW IT, I KNEW HE WORE THE EAGLE GLOBE AND ANCHOR. in my section we have Army,Navy, Airforce and one MARINE there is no doubt i am the proud one of the bunch sometimes they make fun of my zest for our Corps and i just chalk if up to some envy and how they wish they could be proud like I and wear the Eagle Globe and Anchor dont remember what its called but the neclace that goes around my neck that carries my PVC card has Marine Corps Emblems on it and it is covered with all the Pins i purchased from Sgt. Grit.com (the pin with the yellow footprints always gets em going) im proud to be a Marine and i dont know any other Marine that isnt. No other Military Service (respect to them) could compare to what we feel as Marines and how we love our Corps. When i first came on this site i wrote something that was inappropriate and the guys got at me and let me know i was not in step or locked on. they did it with Love. we are family and when one steps out of line we lock them on but they are still our family thats what it means to be a MARINE!!! the few the proud "Once a Marine Always a MARINE!!

Semper Fi

R.O

I'll never forget, it was 1979. I'd gotten out in 1977 and joined a police department. I had just gotten home to my apartment after working our 3rd watch. Which was 2000hrs to 0400hrs. I'd just walked in the door when I heard screeching tires and CRASH. I looked out the window and saw a car backing away from my parked car.

Microsoft Office 2010 Microsoft Office 2007

I don't think so. Making crap up and posing as a Marine? Permabanned as a scumbag peddling crap.

Thanks for the information, it's very useful.

Another scummer selling useless shvit no one here needs.

i sold my car last evening to an 83 year old gentleman, he ask if he would be saluted, having the Marine stickers on the car. I told him he would be honked at, waved at and maybe stopped to shake his hand. Being white headed they would think he was a WWII Vet.

Gung Ho,

Ray

Thread Information