Tips for negotiating with a recruiter: What can I ask for and what am I entitled to? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LT. Fairman:

How's the "wing thing" progressing for you?

Wish I was there (again!)

Registered User Free Member Monica's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    dep baumy- Very cool of your recruiter to do that! Let me ask you a question though, what do you guys do for pool functions now? Are you learning anything that will help you through boot camp? Are you studying your General Orders and rank structure?

When I was in dep, Ssgt Baker and Ssgt Brown had us doing land nav, PT, general orders, rank structure, etc at pool functions. They had us so prepared, I don't think I was shocked at anything that happened when I got to PI. (It helps too that there was a WM CPL home on RA while I was in dep)

Lt. Fairman is right. When I was on RA back in 96, I would do the calling from the office to set up appointments and more often than not, it was the student, not the parent who would flat out let me know that they were not "into the military" or talking to me about the Corps. They seem to have thought that I had a contract already written up and sitting on the desk and was going to hold a gun to their head and make them sign it. I even had kids make appointments with me, and then not show up. It's an easy way for them to get me off the phone without going through the whole objection process, but have no intention of really showing up.

Part of that problem seems to stem from recruits who get sent home for whatever reason without finishing boot camp. They come back and tell other kids how bad it was, how the "recruiter lied" and any other embellished tales they feel like telling to make themselves look better in the face of failure. I've even met Marines who did four, got out, and talk trash about the Corps. With them, I can usually guess what their motivation for that is, but these things sadly, influence the younger generation.

However Sir, I would have to say in all honesty I have met recruiters who are less than great representatives of the branch they belong to. So I can on one hand, understand some of the apprehension. My brother's recruiter sat at my father's dining room table and told me that he had a good PT program for the poolees and that my brother would be ready to go. They didn't PT-he had my brother and the others painting his office and trash like that. My brother therefore didn't check in as often as he should have and was only doing 3 pullups before he shipped. (Which yes, if I would have been home, I would have been dragging his butt out to PT)

My recruiters also joined the local Marine Corps League detachment while they were stationed in this area and helped out with whatever the League needed. It's like pulling teeth to get the ones here now to just simply attend the Birthday Ball ceremony that we do at the Veteran's Home. Those veterans that live there look forward to this every year, seeing those blues for an hour or so means alot to them.

Please INSEARCHOF join the Army. They need an Army of one.

dep_baumy
    Guest Free Member
    "dep baumy- Very cool of your recruiter to do that! Let me ask you a question though, what do you guys do for pool functions now? Are you learning anything that will help you through boot camp? Are you studying your General Orders and rank structure?"

Yes Ma'am, his philosophy is to show us how the Corps has fun but also how you need to work hard to be able to have fun. Even playing basketball he drills us, for example, we miss an easy shot: couple laps, push ups, or just PT (depending on his mood) others in the middle of a game he just rattles off "whats your 7th general order" and if you get it wrong you pay. Also we have a pool function every month but he usually makes us run an IST every other weekend, hes pretty much an older brother with authority, and also a close family friend, not only to me, but to every other poolee as well. He leaves in a month though for (dont kill me if i get this wrong) HMX squadron I believe it is to fly around the President. He's taught me a'lot about the Corps, im lucky to have had him as a recruiter, even if he is really hard on us sometimes..............

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

what!!!!!!1

first of all i want to say u have ne place in the Corps i am not but respect everything thr Marines stand for my dad taught me that you need to have pride and my friend u just are thinking of your self not hwo could be your fellow brothers in arms. not that they want u now anyway think army if u want the money oh crazy brave what were y thinkin take someone?? who like his mom? be a man do it your self dumn a##

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey Maj Mike... Good to see you here again sir. Flight school is demanding to say the least, but I am having the time of my life. I just killed off FAM-2 today. Probably on the schedule tomorrow as well. We're going to do mostly pattern work on 3 and 4, and then I'll be doing Basic Instruments for 4 or 5 sim events, then back to FAMs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Lieutenant,

I tend to agree with your opinion that Marine recruiters are simply labelled because of what the other services do in desparation to make mission. To most civilians, we are all seen as being the same. I respect your opinion and views.

SF,

Sixguns

Registered User Free Member 2ndplacesucks's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I have passed all my screening, scored a 76 on my asvab. but I need to take on more picture in an alpha dress shirt because one capton is concerned about a tatoo on my chest might purde from the top if I don't were an undershirt. I feel my staff sergeant is delayiing this, but I don't know what they have to do as far as how many people they send, or when they need people to go or what????????? very confused, the first time I was 100% know I wanted to be a MARINE was beggining of Oct. and still I am doing paper work, and waiting, I have lazered off three tatoos and started on my chest, I have done my IST and passed w/flying colors.

Could any one help me understand why he would be delaying me?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Registered User Free Member Monica's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Keep up the good work baumy!

Please, don't call me Ma'am............

2ndplacesucks:

I would assume that your recruiter is "delaying you" - to use your words because he wants to make 100% sure that you are qualified when you report to Recruit Training. The Corps has very specific rules and regs regarding tattoos. While tattoos have always been a part of Marine Corps culture, especially in the enlisted ranks, tattoos that detract from the regulation appearance required in the Corps are not acceptable.

I would strongly advise any person who is considering joining the Corps to check out the tattoo regs before running off to the nearest tattoo artist on a whim.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    2nd place,

There is a lot of documentation that is required to run waivers. And based on the fact you had tattoos lasered off and have another one of concern, I am betting the waiver is the big hold up. In order to run a waiver, you must be found fully qualified before we run the waiver. That means passing the ASVAB, a physical at MEPS and an IST/PFT. Only then will an officer interview you and determine your eligibility for a waiver. Once interviewed and with your own personal statement, a police and court records check and any required medical documents needed are obtained, the waiver can start being routed through the chain of command. That chain has three important stops. The District CO, MCRD CG and finally, MCRC, CG. At MCRC the waiver is reviewed and final eligibility is determined. Everyone else gives recommendations on the way to MCRC. The process can be long, especially if during the routing of the waiver it is determined additional information is needed or the package was incomplete. Do not blame the recruiter. The recruiter is only responsible for get you ASVAB tested, physically examined and collecting the documentation. I would ask to speak with the officer who interviewed you and prepared your waiver to get more answers on where in the process your waiver might be.

Sixguns

Actually they will pay off college loans...Im not sure how much but its more than the Army. Not to be disrespectful.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    damn child...........................were you bored to go all the way back to a thread that started in 0 freakin 4????????????? The kid that started it probably NEVER went in anyway.

Yeah a little bit. I was just using the search engine. LOL. Sorry.

shnon, a little help on the "college loan" deal...? I can't find anything about it. It would be a huge help.

Thread Information