Failed College Need help
Create Post

Failed College Need help

Marines,

I need help. I have gone through three semesters of college, and this past term I have failed out of my university. My original plan was to join the Marine Corps out of high school, but got side tracked on what my father wanted me to do. Now, after standing up to him, I am going to start doing what I want to do. I have this hoop to overcome first and I was wondering if the Marine Corps offers anything like the Army's student loan payment program. I accumulated around $15,000 worth of debt as of right now. Please if any Marine has any information regarding this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow, flunked out after only 3 semesters ??? What seemed to be the problem ?

You do know you are liable and your family to pay that debt back as it never goes away. Even if you die, your heirs are responsible to pay it back.

You cannot even enlist in the Marine Corps with that much debt unless you get a waiver.

To answer your question, NO !!!

The Military College Loan Repayment Program (CLRP)

In 2015, two of the most valuable education benefits available to military personnel are the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the ( branch-specific ) Tuition Assistance Programs, *** but unfortunately, neither of these benefits offer any assistance for paying off existing student loan debt. ***

Best of luck to you.

I started over sleeping, staying up super late, and just loosing drive over school. I am currently waiting on an appeal from my university to see if I will be in reinstated or not. Thank you for providing this information to me.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your welcome and that would be your best bet at this point.

Get Motivated and earn that degree !!!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That's if they allow him back. That decision will be coming up soon. Good luck to the OP with school or whatever else happens.

I was the same. Went to college because that's what my family wanted me to do. Didn't want to be there, had zero interest, and failed out in 3 semesters because I found other things to do that interested me instead of going to class. I still don't have a degree, but I have a good career going, made detective in 5 years at my PD, and am part of an effective counter drug task force. It's all about staying true to yourself and working your butt off to get what you want. Sometimes that means college, sometimes it doesn't. Only you can decide that. Rest assured though that you're not the first person to be where you are in life. I don't have the answers you seek, but I can tell you that the obstacles you face are not insurmountable.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post. College isn't for everyone, and even more importantly, college isn't for everyone AT ANY ONE PARTICULAR TIME IN THEIR LIFE.....could be that the same person who leaves college today might be back in school in three or four years.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I concur with USMC2571. I wasn't ready for college right away either. I did the Marine Corps instead. I woke up to education there and in the four formal schools I attended, I was the honor grad of two of them. When I went to college, I had a kick azz mentality and tore up the classes. I had a 4.0 GPA in my bachelor's program. Now I have two master's degrees, both with 3.9 GPAs.

Like the Corps itself, college is a state of mind.

Same here, I actually dropped out of high school in 2008 and joined the Marine Corps 3 months later. Best decision of my life. Currently in a aviation engineering program with a ton of math. Loving it.
    I know the Marines used to offer a payment program. i know of several people who have done this but it was for degrees that were 99% complete. But with draw downs and all of this going on i am sure they are super picky now days.

You may want to look into the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). I don't know if it applies to student loans, but I'll leave the researching to you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofus View Post
    You may want to look into the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). I don't know if it applies to student loans, but I'll leave the researching to you.
    SCRA does not apply to him, his problem is getting into the service with that debt.

That said, student loan debt is looked at MUCH differently than other unsecured/secured commercial debt(eg. credit cards, car loans, lines of credit) because the federal govt. backs those loans. You shouldn't have an issue enlisting with it but you need to be up front about it with a recruiter.

Financial debt is a deterrent to attaining a security clearance (at least, it was in the past but national security does not seem to have the same importance today). A financial statement is part of the background investigation process.

It is my understanding, all hands today must have at least a secret security clearance. I'm wondering what this kind of debt would mean in regards to getting the required clearance.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Financial debt is a deterrent to attaining a security clearance (at least, it was in the past but national security does not seem to have the same importance today). A financial statement is part of the background investigation process.

It is my understanding, all hands today must have at least a secret security clearance. I'm wondering what this kind of debt would mean in regards to getting the required clearance.
    I don't think it applies Top, again as it is federally backed debt and not commercial debt

And you can have debt(commercial or otherwise) and still be eligible for any clearance...you just cannot have defaulted on any of it or be in collections

The phrase, "Apparently he can be taught." May not apply in this case...

Thread Information