Enlisted or officer commsion?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisted or officer commsion?

Currently I'm about to graduate from highschool. I've been accepted to The citadel and VMI. I plan on going to VMI to pursue my commission into the Marine Corps. I aspire to go into infantry particular Force Recon and then eventually Marsoc. The dilemma that I'm having at the moment is weather I should enlist or commission. I heard enlistment was the way to go for this route and that I'll see more combat experience and it's the better option. On the other hand I heard if I was an officer pursuing this route, I would not receive as much combat and I'll only be out on the field for a few years before I'm put into a staff position. I was wondering if anyone can help clear up this information and give any advice, thank you.

Respectfully
    -Alexander Huiras

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    This comes up a lot. Officer v enlisted routes, but this is the first time I've seen it phrased quite like this. I.e. which offers more combat experience.-----others will be along to offer their views.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    If in fact you want to experience up close and personal combat......you should aim for the most warrior group in the Corps. The Infantry is the one that takes the battle to the enemy. They don't sneak around, they don't try to take out high profile idiots. They kill everyone that chaps their butt. They only have one objective.....to take out as many enemy as they can. So if you want to be in the thick of war, get into a rifle company and become as we are lovingly called...... Grunts or Snuffies.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Read the " Similar Threads " under your post. That will give you some insight.

Best of luck in your decision and let us know what you decide " Marine Friend "...

You obviously have not been following current events. The only Marines seeing any combat today are pilots (and maybe just a handful of MARSOC Raiders that we'll probably never hear about - even fewer of them are officers). It's possible that may change with a new Commander In Chief in a year but not very likely.

Realistically, you should expect to be advising/training foreign troops, or delivering humanitarian relief supplies somewhere overseas. That is basically the role of the USMC today and for the foreseeable future (unless one becomes a pilot).

the Marsoc, force recon, rambo threads seem to making a comeback. heres what you do, whatever you want, there is no best route, if you enlist you get a bit more of an easier time to go said route because you can get it in a contract not so much so as an officer.

just as anything else what you want and what you get are seldom one and the same.

If you've been accepted by the Citadel and/or VMI, it's a no brainer to me: go to school. That sheepskin...or parchment will open many doors regardless whether you go officer or enlisted. Don't sell your future short.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice, Frank, as always.

Thread Information