Reserves?
Create Post

Thread: Reserves?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserves?

Hey everyone,

My name is Ronald Felix I'm 21 years old, and I'm new to these forums and I just wanted to get some of your input. First of all, for those of you who have served or are currently serving, I wanted to say thank you for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Ever since I was a little kid I always wanted to be part of the Marine Corps, but I am still unsure if I want to commit. Ultimately, the Reserves is the way to go since I'm currently finishing up school. My question is, what is life as a reservist like? For those of you who have served in the reserves, looking back at it now would you say that it was a good decision for you?

I appreciate your input.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Welcome to the site. I have josephd's permission to post this-----he posted a day or so ago re questions about reserves, as he is currently a reservist who is attending college. I realize some of this doesn't pertain to you, but some does.

------------------------

1) What do you do specifically on the two days of drill and two weeks out of the summer as a reservist and what does an 1833 typically do on those days?

Well I'll start off by saying that drill is more than two days at times, could be a long field drill and be 4 days or just a single day drill for some others. Most drill time is spend doing annual training and qualifications(swim, rifle range, classes, admin stand down, medical stand down,). As a junior Marine outside of those things I mentioned you will spend alot of time doing maintenance on your track and other gear.

2) How hard is it to transfer from reserve to active duty? I'm worried that I'm going to love the corp too much and wish I signed as active duty initially (especially if I could be a crew chief). I really want an active duty lifestyle at some point but I'm torn because I love college and want to finish my degree and potentially go to OCS.

"Switching" to active duty is almost impossible, especially within your first 6 years while you're under obligation/contract at your reserve unit. If you are considering going to OCS and commissioning I would suggest NOT enlisting and being a reservist, just stick with school and start speaking with an OSO in your area to get you contracted to go to OCS

3) How often are deployments for reservists? Are there opportunities to go off somewhere if I want a break from school and get a taste of active duty?

There are VERY FEW deployments for reservists, and no...not besides your 2-week annual training period anyway

4) How hard is it to lateral move to a different MOS? I've heard it's extremely difficult but I want to know how often it realistically happens.

As a reservist....near impossible unless there is another local reserve unit that you can get contracted/reenlist to.

5) Did you enjoy your time as a reservist, wish you went active duty, had a easy/hard time balancing school; could you share your overall experience with the reserves?

Yes I have enjoyed my time so far as a reservist.....but I do wish I had gone active duty instead. I am also a full time student, balancing a full time class load with drill and working is extremely difficult. I'd be lying if I said it was a good idea to be a reservist and a student...it's not easy, you will need to be extremely disciplined with your time...e.g. no partying, no down time, etc..

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Also, don't forget to click on the several threads that automatically appear below your post, for more info.

Thread Information