What does somebody with the "Communications" mos do?
Create Post

What does somebody with the "Communications" mos do?

I am joining the Marine Corps and I go to boot camp March 21st. I am in the delayed entry program. I want infantry but they don't have any open infantry jobs. So I was told that communications is like the next best thing because I will be able to do infantry-like stuff but i'll be the guy with the radio in the squad. This is all just what i've heard and understand about this job. What is it that they really do? I want to be able to travel to a lot of different places within my military career, is this job something that'll keep me locked down in a certain base just working on radios and stuff? I appreciate any feedback I can get.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
      Guest Free Member
      The ever-present "needs of the Corps" will determine what you do. If they want you to spend your entire enlistment at Camp Lejeune working with radios, that is exactly what you'll do.

Travel is nice but not guaranteed.

The communications MOS is a broad one, and it is next to impossible to go into what each and every "sub" MOS within that field does, in any detail. But others will be along to help out. Good luck.

Last edited by USMC 2571; 12-16-15 at 10:03 AM.

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      If you look at my profile you will see that I was a " Comm " Marine.

Lots of things that I can't talk about TSSC, OPSEC. It all depends on what Units you are assigned too. Fortunately for me I was able to work with some elite units and travel the world.

Some things we can speak on and some not.

Do you have a specific Comm mos you want to ask about ? I noticed you mentioned " The guy with the radio in the squad ".......

First you mean "Marine" correct ? and then ?.....

USMC 2571
      Guest Free Member
      OP---if possible, try to narrow it down a bit to specific MOSs. Maybe you can't. See what your recruiter says about all this.

I did mean to say "Marine".

I just wanted to know if I would definitely be going places. I want to go infantry but thats not an option. Since communications is the next best thing I was wondering what exactly makes it the next best thing. Like will I be the Marine in the squad who has the radio? Or would I be stuck doing other communications' specific jobs without seeing a lick of action? Also is it possible to, for lack of a better word, 'apply' for MARSOC or Recon after my 4 years of being in comms? I just really don't want to be stuck with a job that I hate.

thanks again!

USMC 2571
      Guest Free Member
      Some of these Marines here who might know are either active duty or reserves but they might know about this....they'll wander in here. In the meantime, whether you get stuck doing a job you don't like or not, depends on you. Additionally, no one knows for sure if you will end up traveling or not. This is what I hinted at when I said that the field of communications, like any other field, is broad, and really, anything can happen, you could be stationed anywhere the Corps needs you, you could end up at one base the entire time, no one would know that ahead of time.

I was not in the communications field but will just add a couple points.

Like Rocky C said, the communications field incorporates a lot of different type jobs. The specific radio job you describe is a Field Radio Operator (attached to an infantry unit). Or, you could be a wireman attached to an infantry unit (runs communication wires from various types of comm equipment so different infantry units can communicate that way also instead of with radios).

Or, you could find yourself working inside a communications center, and never be attached to an infantry unit (these communicators are not wiremen nor Field Radio Operators). Every base has a communications center manned 24 hours a day - these Marines work shift work 7 days a week including holidays. So, it's possible you may never deploy nor even ever go overseas.

You cannot enlist to be a Field Radio Operator, Wireman, etc (unless you sign a reserve contract). All you can do is request a communications program. Then, the USMC will put you in the specific Primary MOS they need at that time (after bootcamp). After being assigned your Primary MOS, you will go to MOS school to learn that specific job.

Only grunts (infantry Marines) can apply for RECON. Any MOS can apply to MARSOC. Go to their website www.marsoc.org to see the requirements.

There is no guarantee you'll be a radio operator, you can be a wireman, a data Marine, or any of the other types of 0600 MOS'. I think 0621 (radio operator) is the biggest or second biggest MOS though.

Alright. Thank you guys for helping me. I really appreciate all of your feedback. I'll try to look more into it.

You're welcome but we are not guys. We are Marines who have earned that title. Guys have not earned anything. Thought you got that in post #5.

Sorry. I keep saying that out of habbit. It won't happen again.

You need to break that habit and any others you might have before you get to boot camp in March. Otherwise, you will have a long and painful learning curve!

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      On this Forum also. I told you already. There will not be a 3rd time. This is for your benefit besides the fact that we Marines Hate the word " Guys " and " Hey " and " Yo " and " Waz Up " and many more ....... !!!!

Thread Information