Several Questions Regarding Reserve Life and MOS 1833
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Several Questions Regarding Reserve Life and MOS 1833

Hey there,

I just joined here so I'll start off by introducing myself. I'm CJ Bolt, joined the DEP last week and ship off to Parris Island on January 4th. I'm currently attending college so I signed a reserve contract as an 1833 AAV Crewman so I can continue going to school. I did excellent on the asvab but there weren't too many jobs available at the two reserve stations near me. I originally wanted to be a helicopter crew chief but it wasn't on the list and 1833 seemed like it could potentially be a lot of fun. However, I'm not completely sure what they do. The consensus online seems to be that the job sucks but everyone I talk to outside seems to think it's a real job that I'm going to love.

My questions are as follows:

1) What do you do specifically on the two days of drill and two weeks out of the summer as a reservist and what does an 1833 typically do on those days?

2) How hard is it to transfer from reserve to active duty? I'm worried that I'm going to love the corp too much and wish I signed as active duty initially (especially if I could be a crew chief). I really want an active duty lifestyle at some point but I'm torn because I love college and want to finish my degree and potentially go to OCS.

3) How often are deployments for reservists? Are there opportunities to go off somewhere if I want a break from school and get a taste of active duty?

4) How hard is it to lateral move to a different MOS? I've heard it's extremely difficult but I want to know how often it realistically happens.

5) Did you enjoy your time as a reservist, wish you went active duty, had a easy/hard time balancing school; could you share your overall experience with the reserves?

If you can shed some light on any of those questions it'd be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The only person I know who is a reservist as we speak is josephd----he'll probably be along to answer some questions, but I'll PM him and let him know about this thread. Good luck to you.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    By the way, I moved this thread for you from Poolee Hall (where Marines can't post) into Ask A Marine, where they can post and can give you a lot of information.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In the meantime you can click on the threads below your post ( Similar Threads ) and read before Marines come along and answer your questions.

Best of luck to you.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good thread, and good questions. I have no idea what the answers are, but will be watching this thread in order to learn some new things--about reservists and what they do, etc.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    OP, I just saw, embedded somewhere in your post, the statement that you really want to finish college, or words to that effect....that is a whole other subject, and it has been discussed in this section quite a bit. Some will advise you to stay in college and graduate, some will advise you to leave it, finish later, whatever----you are your own best judge of what you should do in that regard. You will have to evaluate your goals, interests etc in light of what's best for you or what you think is best for you. You can do a site search here for threads having to do with staying in college, as well as threads dealing with OCS......I know this is just one aspect of your entire post, but thought I would throw out my two cents on it, for whatever it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    By the way, I moved this thread for you from Poolee Hall (where Marines can't post) into Ask A Marine, where they can post and can give you a lot of information.
    I appreciate that, I had a feeling I posted it in the wrong location but didn't want to double post, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    In the meantime you can click on the threads below your post ( Similar Threads ) and read before Marines come along and answer your questions.

Best of luck to you.
    I've looked at a couple of them, I'll continue to read up. There's a lot of really useful information here.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    OP, I just saw, embedded somewhere in your post, the statement that you really want to finish college, or words to that effect....that is a whole other subject, and it has been discussed in this section quite a bit. Some will advise you to stay in college and graduate, some will advise you to leave it, finish later, whatever----you are your own best judge of what you should do in that regard. You will have to evaluate your goals, interests etc in light of what's best for you or what you think is best for you. You can do a site search here for threads having to do with staying in college, as well as threads dealing with OCS......I know this is just one aspect of your entire post, but thought I would throw out my two cents on it, for whatever it's worth.
    Thank you, I realize there is really a matter of personal opinion as to what I really want, but it's always nice to hear about the recommendations from others. I'll look through those threads you mentioned in the meantime.

I'll take a stab at #2. Advanced education will always be the #1 key to anyone's upward mobility and opportunities for a better life in this country (that is a proven fact). Therefore, it should remain your #1 priority - that you love college is just icing on the cake. Anytime a wannabe is torn between staying in school or going on active duty, my reply to them is always the same...stay in school and finish that degree. It is an investment in your future. The USMC is going through a lot of changes right now, but it will still be here after you graduate. And, you will have a lot more to offer it than a college drop-out would.

Good luck.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    My viewpoint exactly, Top. Good advice.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1) What do you do specifically on the two days of drill and two weeks out of the summer as a reservist and what does an 1833 typically do on those days?

Well I'll start off by saying that drill is more than two days at times, could be a long field drill and be 4 days or just a single day drill for some others. Most drill time is spend doing annual training and qualifications(swim, rifle range, classes, admin stand down, medical stand down,). As a junior Marine outside of those things I mentioned you will spend alot of time doing maintenance on your track and other gear.

2) How hard is it to transfer from reserve to active duty? I'm worried that I'm going to love the corp too much and wish I signed as active duty initially (especially if I could be a crew chief). I really want an active duty lifestyle at some point but I'm torn because I love college and want to finish my degree and potentially go to OCS.

"Switching" to active duty is almost impossible, especially within your first 6 years while you're under obligation/contract at your reserve unit. If you are considering going to OCS and commissioning I would suggest NOT enlisting and being a reservist, just stick with school and start speaking with an OSO in your area to get you contracted to go to OCS

3) How often are deployments for reservists? Are there opportunities to go off somewhere if I want a break from school and get a taste of active duty?

There are VERY FEW deployments for reservists, and no...not besides your 2-week annual training period anyway

4) How hard is it to lateral move to a different MOS? I've heard it's extremely difficult but I want to know how often it realistically happens.

As a reservist....near impossible unless there is another local reserve unit that you can get contracted/reenlist to.

5) Did you enjoy your time as a reservist, wish you went active duty, had a easy/hard time balancing school; could you share your overall experience with the reserves?

Yes I have enjoyed my time so far as a reservist.....but I do wish I had gone active duty instead. I am also a full time student, balancing a full time class load with drill and working is extremely difficult. I'd be lying if I said it was a good idea to be a reservist and a student...it's not easy, you will need to be extremely disciplined with your time...e.g. no partying, no down time, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I'll take a stab at #2. Advanced education will always be the #1 key to anyone's upward mobility and opportunities for a better life in this country (that is a proven fact). Therefore, it should remain your #1 priority - that you love college is just icing on the cake. Anytime a wannabe is torn between staying in school or going on active duty, my reply to them is always the same...stay in school and finish that degree. It is an investment in your future. The USMC is going through a lot of changes right now, but it will still be here after you graduate. And, you will have a lot more to offer it than a college drop-out would.

Good luck.
    This is excellent and it's really the best summary of how I feel regarding it. If I end up loving it I can always finish my degree and re-enlist as active duty or attempt to go to OCS. I guess there's more options for me if I stay in school. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    This a excellent reply! Thanks for all your help answering the questions from your perspective, it's really helped address a lot of the concerns I have.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great Job Top and Joe !!!! Thank you for taking the time to respond on these questions

With the big questions of mine being answered, would anyone know where to find more information on 1833 AAV Crewman? I've searched the forums and countless places online but I'm still not completely sure what they're doing in todays day and age.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This thread will remain open so more Marines can post.

Hang in there and check your thread every so often for more answers to your questions.

Thread Information