Switching branches
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Switching branches

Hello. Im active duty army 11b trying to switch over to usmc. Will USMC accept prior service? I'm a afghan vet and a e-4 with 2 yrs of service. I got 15 months left in the army.

Similar Threads:

You'll need to contact a prior service recruiter. If I remember correctly, you will lose your grade and need to go through recruit training. Take a look at https://www.marines.com/request-information?ver=A

the LT is correct, you will fall back to a PFC (e-2) in the Marine Corps and you will need to go through recruit training.. That is if the USMC is accepting prior service at this current time.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    For a long time they were not accepting prior service, but there is a new thread somewhere in Open Squad Bay, I'll see if I can find it and post the link here, dealing with new acceptance of prior service people.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    It deals only with prior service MARINES--but others here might find the info useful---posted 11-25-15 by Tennessee Top in Open Squad Bay:
    ---------------------------
    Do you want to get back in?
    Some good news for a change for Prior Service Marines looking to reenlist.

The USMC is looking to let 300 Prior Service Marines back in this fiscal year (began on Oct 1st). Various MOS's are needed but the most critical are infantry, intelligence, and aviation maintenance. Only those who got out at the end of their enlistment are eligible (no TERA/VSP early outs). Reenlistment bonuses will be paid to those eligible MOS's and lateral moves will be considered.

See your Prior Service Recruiter ASAP. Once these 300 positions are gone they're gone. MARADMIN 481/15 is the resource.

Last edited by USMC 2571; 12-07-15 at 12:08 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    DO NOT CONTACT A PRIOR SERVICE RECRUITER!....."prior service" recruiters are for prior service Marines, not Army soldiers who want to join the Marine Corps.

You'll need to go see a regular recruiting office just like a new join when you come off active duty in the Army.

Whoops, sorry for the bad gouge.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    Whoops, sorry for the bad gouge.
    My post was not directed at you Sir, my apologies if it came off that way and in any way disrespectful

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate everyone's help with my question. Can't wait for my ets date already so i can switch branches.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Let us know how it goes, please. Resurrect this same thread, if possible.

Credits
    Savings
    Will do. I got another question. What's the weight standards for rucks at boot camp and MCT?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Beats me, others will be along in here, though---they know all that stuff.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchaos View Post
    Will do. I got another question. What's the weight standards for rucks at boot camp and MCT?
    they tell you its like combat load of around 70lbs.....but its really only like 40-50lbs

a combat load consists of gear, water, flak/rig w/ ammo/magazines....at MCT all you'll be carrying is gear and a camelback

Thread Information