How Did You End Up Joining The Corps? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Living in a little manufacturing town and there wasn't much for opportunity if you weren't related to someone already working there. I started going to college, but quit after a couple of months because I didn't feel like I fit in. Fast forward a few months, I get my girlfriend knocked up and the old Piggly Wiggly was not going to support a young family. My father was in the Corps in the mid 50's and I think that I was trying to prove something to him too, so I chose the Marine Corps. It wasn't until later that I learned that he went AWOL and never fulfilled his enlistment obligation. I never even talked to any other branches.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    No, Andy, Rocky C meant he was IN the Continental Marines, he's so old. Oh, I will probably get banned for that one

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good responses, keep it going, I'm interested also in why the USMC as opposed to the other services---that's always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boz View Post
    the old Piggly Wiggly was not going to support a young family.
    Little did I realize that the Marine Corps was not going to support a young family either. But......I did learn a valuable skill and have been able to provide for my family and enjoy life.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    No, Andy, Rocky C meant he was IN the Continental Marines, he's so old. Oh, I will probably get banned for that one
    ahahahaahaha !!!!

350 male HS students from my class.....SSGT walks up to the stage after all the other branches pitched their services....he looks out at us and said "5 of you will be Marines." Walks off w/o saying another word.

I looked at 3 of my friends.....next day we joined. All the others in my class were trying to avoid the draft. I spent 26 years in our Corps. My buddies and I just got together for a reunion. One retired as V/P of FedEx, the other 2 retired from Fire Depts.

I now fly jets in the Corporate world but everyday my uniform still looks crisp and polished.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That is the power of suggestion at its fullest. LOL. Great post.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    26 ? OUTSTANDING !!!!

Thank you Brother and welcome to the Forum.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Interesting thread as to how we came to join the Corps as opposed to other branches.

The war was going on and I was nearing my end of high school with no real goal. I wasn't exactly destined for greatness so after much deliberation between the Corps or FFL I joined the Marines and the rest is history

I wanted to fly fighter jets, and had seen top gun one too many times, so I wanted to go to Annapolis and be a naval aviator in the worst way. Then I realized that a pilot has to be good at math. I am NOT good at math. At all. So I started thinking about things I AM good at. Digging holes, living in the field, shooting stuff, those were all strong points for me. The Marine recruiter was right next to the Navy office, so I walked in. They sold me on being the best at carrying a gun for a living. The rest is history.

I also wanted to go in the military. We had a career day at our high school, when I was a freshman. I was so impressed by the dignity and bearing of a Marine S/Sgt and my dad's tales of WWII that I decided to become a Marine.

In the fall of 66 I was in college, the draft was pulling out students every day though I hadn't even been called for my physical. Back then rotc was mandatory for the 1st 2 years so once a week I had to wear that scuzzy looking air force uniform. Talk about being embarrassed, after all, my father and my 3 uncles had all been Marines.

Every night on the news were stories about the Nam, I guess I was afraid the war would be over by the time I graduated (little did I know at the time) so I signed the papers and reported to PI Jan 67.

It took me a year to get to the Nam in Jan 68. Although I came close to winning the war by myself they made me go home after 13 months so that others would have a chance to kill some gooks.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    There wasn't a Marine recruiting office where I lived. So I called the one in Dallas, 80 miles away. They took my address and said they would be there to fill me in about the Corps the next morning. At 8am they drove up in a White van. They slid the side door open and asked me to get in and we would drive around and talk. Inside was a desk and chair and a lot of papers. As we drove around, they asked me to fill out some of those papers, while we talked. 30 min. later they stopped at a restaurant for breakfast. As we started to get out, they told me to keep filling out papers and they would bring me something back. They came back, gave me my breakfast, and started driving again. All the while talking about the Corps and why I should join. At 10 o'clock we were in Dallas. I thought what the hell. I thought we were just driving and talking. The SSG told me there was some things they couldn't do in the van. So we went inside a big building. They had me get in a little line of guys in their under shorts. I asked what was this? He said it was just so the Corps would know a little about my Physical being. I thought.....a lot of **** just to talk about Marines. Anyway, I got a physical....did all their paper work, and then they took me and all those other guys into a room where we raised our right hand and said I do. The SSG said all done. I asked when was they going to take me back home. He said you can spend the night here and tomorrow you'll be on your way. Well. I got back home 5 months later for a short recess before staging and Nam. I swear, them was the best damn Marine recruiters in the whole Corps. I still laugh about it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I've heard that from Billy before and it is still absolutely a classic. Talk about recruiters who are dedicated.

Thread Information