How Did You End Up Joining The Corps?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member

How Did You End Up Joining The Corps?

I started a thread like this, but it was years ago, and the membership has changed so much, and that thread was deleted in the course of cleaning house years ago, that I thought it might be interesting to start it once again.

I dropped out of high school, decided to join the military, no specific branch in mind. I knew you could sign up for 2, 3 or 4 years---I chose 4----but which branch?

I figured that as I was going in for 4, it might as well be the best and most elite branch, and seeing the giant gold letters on the recruiting office window spelling out "U.S. MARINE CORPS" didn't detract from the wonder of it all, either.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sort of traditional in my family, I suppose. My brother and I both served in the Corps as third generation Marines. My father was a WWII Marine and his maternal uncle was a captain and dive bomber pilot (KIA at Guadalcanal).

I wanted to be in the Corps from a very young age and succeeded in getting there.

it was a tradition in my family as well, I new I wanted to serve my Country, as it was instilled in me at a young age, but had no pressure as to what Branch, (although I think my Dad and Brother would have been disappointed if I chose anything other then the Corps..lol) so I chose the Marine Corps since I was very familiar with it's history anyway and I new it was the best of the best,, that is one phase of my life where I can say with certainty that I have no regrets and would gladly do it all over again given the chance..

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Very interesting---I didn't know anyone who had been in the Corps, had never even talked with anyone who had.

I was tired of where I was in life and on the verge of divorce so I decided my skills and level of desire were best suited else where. So I popped smoke and joined the Marine Corps.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    How did you choose the Corps over other branches?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Army brat by Birth...Marine by Choice...Survivor by the Grace of God...The Few The Proud The Deemed The United States Marines S/F that

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From the Continental Marines all the way to me. It stopped when my only son passed away 4 years ago.....Perhaps my Grandson will follow in my footsteps one day. My daughter will never enlist.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rocky C; 11-22-15 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    How did you choose the Corps over other branches?
    Originally out of high school i wanted to join the Air Force, but later on in life i decided i liked challenge and wasnt looking for something what was going to be a cake walk. I also had a buddy who was joining the Marines so i said eff it thats where im going. Didnt even entertain speaking to the others.

Unfortunately i am set in my ways I do my own research and sell myself on something people dont usually sell stuff to me and by that time there is no changing the decision. But I am quite pleased with my decision and have become quite a formidable leader to boot.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nice !!!!!

The only person in my family that I know of who was in the military was my grandpa who was in the Navy and did the pacific tour with the Marines. He died before my mom was out of college, so unfortunately I never got to meet him. I can't imagine the stories he had.

My brother joined the Navy a few months after I shipped out, so maybe we are starting up the tradition.

I grew up watching series like Band of Brothers and The Pacific and after not enjoying college I think I wanted a sense of direction and purpose in my life. I didn't want to join the Navy because I didn't like the probability of spending 4 years on a ship, and the Army and Air Force recruiters never went to work, so the choice was easy. Looking back, I am glad that was the case.

After I graduated high school, I went to the Air Farce recruiting office, took the ASVAB test, and was told I wouldn't be able to ship for six months. As soon as I got home, my mom told me a Marine recruiter had called. I told her I didn't want to join the Marine Corps, but she said I should just be nice and call him back. The rest is history ...

With no father figure (Dad passed away) while growing up as a teenager, the thought of joining the Marine Corps appealed to me. I was a wild, spoiled, immature h.s. senior searching for an anchor so choosing the Corps was a natural option. I wanted to be the best. So "best" that during swearing in that morning the recruiter convinced me to add a year to my 3 year enlistment. "It's just a year," I remarked. "What's another year?" Well, as Paul Harvey used to say, "You know the rest of the story!" Vietnam here I come!

Semper fi, bros...and especially to you, Rocky. Glad to have you back.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Frank my Brother !!!

Great to see you and thank you. Hope all is well.

Everybody's giving serious answers? Well okay then.

I think I was partly rebelling against the world I grew up in - upper middle class, leftie politics, DC suburban 70s. Wanted to make my own path, have options in case I wanted to quit college (like go active) or just a guaranteed job because the economy sucked so bad by the early 80s.

Also needed to prove I could do something hard, and completely different, that's why the Corps.

Plus some patriotism - no draft, I didn't have to serve, but I felt like I owed it.

Well, that made me think. I'll zip it now before I get really boring, but Rocky - Continental Marines all the way through, really? A big Semper Fi for that one, brother!

Thread Information