Leave for recruit training in 18 days. Motivated!! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member Esters95's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate all the advice Marines! Ive wanted this since I was 12 years old, I'm 20 years old now. Its time to go forward and earn the title! Thanks again Marines! Great advice!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You sure passed me in rank, though, Rich---my USAF JAG stint as Captain doesn't count, naturally. 12 years after I got out of the Corps----- my Marine buddies stationed with me in Puerto Rico still tell me an Air Force Captain is equal in rank to a USMC Lance Corporal.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    You sure passed me in rank, though, Rich---my USAF JAG stint as Captain doesn't count, naturally. 12 years after I got out of the Corps----- my Marine buddies stationed with me in Puerto Rico still tell me an Air Force Captain is equal in rank to a USMC Lance Corporal.
    It is what it is my friend ...

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I just took a quick break and told my wife, in the other room, that an E-9 with THIRTY years in said he was SIX years old when I went in the Corps, and she just looked at me. LOL

Last edited by USMC 2571; 11-20-15 at 08:59 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    nah more like a Cpl...AF Capt's have SOME responsibility.....notice "SOME"

ebecker, thanks, I thought you meant he is leaving in 3 months----by the way, how would you like things to be like the old days, when we had no Internet, did not know any Marines, had no one to ask about anything, had no say as to what MOS we would get, signed a contract but a much different one than now, and ended up arriving at Parris Island with absolutely zero foreknowledge of anything at all. I got down there Halloween Night, LOL, Trick or Treat!----do I sound like your grandfather sitting in a rocker talking about the old days????
    I had quite a good sense of what was to come thanks in part to the "Making Marines" documentary and "Earning the Title". Even then, it was a definite culture shock. I can't imagine going in with no idea what to expect.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe it was easier in some respects. Nothing to worry about. LOL.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Billy (Mongoose) and I had no idea that Marines even HAD jobs. We thought everyone was just a Marine in general, with no specific job, that's how completely uneducated we were about the Corps. In those days, MOSs were given to you, based on the ever-present Needs of The Corps and 2 days of Classification Tests in boot camp. They assigned you an MOS, you had zero input.----but, the job I got was the best one I've ever had in my entire life, before and after the Corps. I absolutely loved it. That goes to show you that sometimes you'll see an MOS and say nahhhh I would hate that, but you might very well end up liking it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Just by the way, you poolees and wannabes have a distinct advantage over people from my era, and that is input and advice from people like Tennessee Top and Kegler300---these are VERY senior Marines who know their stuff inside and out, and are respected by all here, not just because of their rank, but because of their knowledge about the Corps and their willingness to impart that to new folks. An amazingly helpful source of info.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    This particular OP got approximately 100 times the info he requested, so his head is probably spinning about now.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    A thank you to Joe in post 20 for bumping me up from L/Cpl to Cpl. Very nice.

1. You will pee in the bottle during processing. If you're smoking anything now, it's too late.

2. No mail during processing week. It will take a couple weeks before you get your first letter. Your family can get your address from your recruiter (it'll be a temporary generic PO Box till you get a platoon number and company and can send them your permanent address).

3. If you still have your wisdom teeth, good chance they will come out (you'll get some pain meds and 24 hours bed rest).

4. Do you want to know about any bad news at home? Talk to your family now about it. Some recruits don't (nothing they can do about it anyway) and some do (no surprises when they get back home). Hopefully won't be an issue but stuff happens.

Good luck.

Marine Friend Free Member Esters95's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Still have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. Guess they'll be coming out. Ill talk to my family about receiving bad news. Great advice. Thanks Marine!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You and I talked about the Mail Call thread in Poolee Hall----if you talk with any fellow poolees, if they're interested please have them contact me.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Enjoy your time with family and friends!

Stay out of trouble!

Don't be statistic!

Don't be influenced negatively by friends

PT and eat healthy!

Take time to smell the coffee and roses!

Get laid often!

Good luck!

Thread Information