Corps: Past/Present/Future - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    Seriously though, there's a "shoot radio here" tag? Or near enough? Sheesh.
    Not near enough, exactly that. Right on top, dead center, there was a circle the size of a 9mm barrel with three arrows pointing in at it. You were supposed to fire directly down through the thing to keep the sensitive parts from being useable in the event that you couldn't recover it. Always made me chuckle, even though the utility of it is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    Damn, no chit? My Reserve unit did our cold weather training at Camp Dawson too, musta been in 95, or early 96. Before we went over for our vacation in Norway for annual training that year.

Small world!
    Yeah we did a trip to Dawson in January or February every year. MP Co B out of North Versailles, PA for what it's worth. Humping up those fvcking mountains in the cold and then sleeping out in subzero temps made for some sh!tty "training". My unit went to Norway in 2000, first year I was there. Unfortunately I didn't get to go along because I had volunteered for recruiter's assistance. Every AT after that was either CAX or deployment to Iraq. I got hosed, lol.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    One huge difference between past eras and today is that in the past, we had absolutely no input into what MOS we would get. None at all. Except what they called "Aviation Guaranteed". Besides that one field, the ever-present Needs of The Corps plus 2 days of Classification Tests early on in boot camp determined what MOS we would be assigned. We signed a contract too, but it was that the Corps owned you for your enlistment period. They said not a word about MOS. We didn't even know they HAD jobs in the Marine Corps. Mongoose (Billy) and I, among others, figured everyone was a Marine, period, and we had no idea about jobs. Nor were we interested. We wanted to become Marines, and we did.

Nowadays, picking the MOS field (not the exact job) is seen by us as a real luxury. But look at (in Ask A Marine) the anxiety it sometimes leads to.

Anyway, the MOS thing is one very big difference between past and present.

What you say is true Dave. I initially though the only job in the MC was that of a rifleman and the Corps did not disappoint me along with about 80% of my graduation platoon (March 67). Needs of the Corps.

Of course during training I heard about other mos's so when on graduation day when we were told what our jobs would be my DI said I was going to a line company. With many members of my family working for the power companies I initially thought I was going to be climbing telephone poles. The Corps took the naiveness out of me. I found out what a Marine Corps line company was and somehow I'm still standing. I thank the beer God every night.

Thread Information