Enlistment Options?
Create Post

Enlistment Options?

I'm about to make a MEPS appt. with my recruiter to enlist and take the ASVAB. My ultimate goals is to become a MARSOC Raider. I do know that you need few years in the Marine Corps and a few other requirements to be able to try out. The predicament I am currently in is what MOS to enlist with. I have narrowed it down to two, 0311 (Rifleman) and 0321 (Reconnaissance Marine) via the 03xx Recon Enlistment Option. What would be the best option to stir me in the best direction to my ultimate goal? Some basic background info about myself; 5'8, 145 lbs, 2nd class practice pft score without following a consistent military-focused PT regimen (11 pull-ups, 65 Crunches, 54 push-ups). Lastly, I am studying hard for my ASVAB to receive a competent score on it, and will follow a PFT based workout to allow me to get a perfect score on the actual PFT, then if I do end up going the 03xx route, I will do the recommended 10 week program provided by the Marine Corps to prepare candidates for BRC, 10 weeks out from my ship date. Any serious responses are greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How well do you swim? The rest of your PT scores are pitiful for Recon.

I suggest trying to get in as an infantryman, then after a couple of years tryout for Recon then.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Recon, MARSOC, force Recon---doesn't anyone just want to cook?

Forget recon enlistment option. You're running a 2nd class PFT (or IST) and bootcamp won't get you in good enough shape to make it through recon training; neither will SOI (I'm also sure a 1st class PFT is the absolute baseline requirement for MART/BRC). Enlist as an 0311, be a good Marine, get in peak physical condition (aim for a 285+ PFT) and move on from there. If you go through recon enlistment option and wash out of MART/BRC ( I promise you, you will), you'll end up in a non infantry MOS which will just push you further from the MARSOC dream.

Also, you wrote 11 pullups, 65 crunches, and 54 pushups; we don't do pushups on our PFT, so what is your 3 mile run time? If my math is correct, and you're running SLOWER than a 25:40 minute 3 mile or so, guess what? You're a 3rd class PFT and not even a 2nd. So, what's your runtime brah? How are you even seriously considering the recon enlistment option? Sorry to be so critical, but there is so many Ricky Recon wannabees in here that it makes my head spin.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Neither.....MARSOC believe it or not does not actively recruit from the infantry MOS field or Recon.

MARSOC wants Marines they can train in their own way of being an operator, many infantryman come into the selection process with bad habits and ultimately are harder to train.

I'm just saying these are my times without PT focused training (Run, pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, and swimming for recon. And what's wrong with wanting to be something special? I'm not saying I'm going to make it and I'm better than all the other potential marines and non-Recon active duty marines. I have no problem
    putting in time with the infantry, I just asked for some advice on what path to take. I have the desire to achieve the goal no matter what path I take. That's why I want to train with the basic PT exercises and then if did do 03xx, I would do the 10 week official Recon workout. There's no shame in wanting to be something special. P.S. I calculated the practice test I gave myself and I got second class. I did forget to put a 24 min 3 mile. But that's why I'm working to hit that 1st class PT score before I ship.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    ..you'll end up in a non infantry MOS which will just push you further from the MARSOC dream.
    not true at all

I stand corrected on that ^^^

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    OP, people are blowing off steam because it seems that every other thread is about Recon or MARSOC or some other such elite unit, rather than wanting to have some "regular" MOS. That's all it is, nothing personal against you.

This ^^^ I don't really understand it. When I enlisted, MARSOC and recon were the farthest thing from my mind. If we go off this page, every single potential poolee wants to be a high speed operator without looking into any other MOS. It's refreshing when there is a poster who wants to be something other than a sniper, MARSOC dude, Recon dude, etc.

So. The kid has a dream. What's wrong with that?

I went to MSG school as an 0193 Admin Chief just off I-I duty and not the fleet. Ended up honor graduate (while grunts and former DI's were dropped). What's to say the OP won't end up being honor grad from his MARSOC class? He understands he has a long way to go to get where he wants to be eventually. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt? My I-I 1stSgt never gave me a chance of graduating from MSG school (claimed I wasn't tough enough). Guess who was the first person I called after being handed my graduation certificate and the honor grad plaque from the Marine Corps Association? He also got a call when I was named the #1 Detachment Commander in the entire battalion too! We all started somewhere Devils.

Thread Information