Do you really learn how to fix automobiles being a mechanic in the Marine Corps?
Create Post

Question Do you really learn how to fix automobiles being a mechanic in the Marine Corps?

I'm enlisting in the Marine Corps in a few months and I'm not yet set on which MOS to go for. So far I've narrowed it down to 3521, Automotive Organizational Mechanic and 0311, Rifleman.I really want to be a 0311 and live as a grunt for the four years I'm in the Marines, but I also want to come back out into civilian life to be able to repair automobiles (fix my own car and others). From my Marines friends I heard that as a mechanic in the Marine Corps you never really learn how to fix cars, and that being a grunt is much better.
    I have two options:
    If I get answers that being a 3521 for four years wouldn't teach me much about fixing trucks and other automobiles, I would just go in as a 0311 like I always wanted to and come out with GI Bill and use the benefit to go to a school for auto repair.
    If I get answers that being a 3521 for four years will teach me how to fix automobiles and be flexible in it, I would go for 3521 and come out to be able to auto repair.
    How is the daily life as a 3521 in the Marines?
    I know how the daily life is as a grunt hearing stories from my friends and researching, and this is what I'm most passionate about. But If I can come out of the Marines to be able to fix my own car, I wouldn't hesitate any longer to go for that MOS.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know much about this, due to how long it's been since I was in (I arrived at Parris Island 52 years ago tonight, trick or treat night)----BUT, I am under the impression that you can't even choose your exact MOS, just the field, in other words 35xx but not 3521 specifically---others, please correct me if my impression is incorrect, but based on other posts on this site, that's what I think is the case.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    IF you become a 3521, you'll almost exclusively work on trucks. In fact, I think the smallest vehicle you'd work on would be a Hummer.

However, if your friends and research haven't told you, if you're planning on an active duty enlistment, you can't sign up for a specific MOS. The best you can do is enlist for the occupational field, such as 35xx or 03xx.

Infantry is a tough field to get as so many people want in. If you did get an 03xx contract, you could be anything a Pvt/PFC can be (rifleman, machine gunner, assault man, mortar man).

If you went 35xx, you could end up as a 3531 motor vehicle operator (my original MOS).

So, I guess you make a field choice and hope you get what you want.

You can also request to learn from the 3522 MOS which is advance M.T....
    You can also try to request Barstow Cal..That's where they use to send all the trucks,Jeeps,and other equipment..
    I was a 3516,3521,and 3531 plus a couple more..
    Good luck..

My son is a 3521, and finished his schooling in mid September. We just had this discussion yesterday. He said you inspect everything on the vehicles. Fix most of the things, but when it comes to actually tearing into the major components (engine/transmission/differentials), they don't do that. They either send them off to the higher echelon repair center, or send them back to Oshkosh Truck to be rebuilt or replaced.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boz View Post

My son is a 3521,
    We just had this discussion yesterday.
    He said you inspect everything on the vehicles.
    FIX most of the things on the vehicle,

BUT -when it comes to actually tearing into the
    major components (engine/transmission/differentials),
    they DON'T do that.

They send them off to the higher echelon repair center,
    Boz is forgetting THEY do the repairs "THEY" are
    authorized to preform.
    I take it ,
    Boz son is assigned to a 2nd echelon
    authorized unit...?
    Your son and all the other young Marines- recieved training
    to preform doing the work they are assigned according to
    the "UNIT" they are assigned to
    "IT" isn't about the people to do the work- more about the
    TOOLS and Equipment - it takes to do the work.

Other young Marines are preforming
    5 th echelon work.
    Some are seeking a job with oshkosh to return
    as a tech rep to the suck as an afterlife...

*pardon my re-phrasing and restructuring your
    statement please.

I'm a 1341 (Heavy Equipment mechanic). We do maintenance and repairs on bulldozers, earth moving equipment, bucket loaders, forklifts, etc. We learned basic mechanics in MOS school, but if you don't have outside experience or training, it's really not enough to make you a good mechanic. There is also different echelons of maintenance, and each echelon does a certain amount of maintenance and repairs before they are out of their range of experience and training. Lower echelon shops do things like Preventative Maintenance, limited technical inspections, flushing out hydraulic systems, oil filter, etc. The higher you go, the more in depth the maintenance. The highest level's of maintenance has mechanics who could take apart engines and troubleshoot/replace components down to the smallest parts. If you excel as a mech in your shop, you get the opportunity to go to additional schools within the Corps to improve your mechanic skills.

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

I take it ,
    Boz son is assigned to a 2nd echelon
    authorized unit...?

*pardon my re-phrasing and restructuring your
    statement please.
    No problem. You are right. He is at a 2nd echelon shop.

Thread Information