Question about the AG contract
Create Post

Question about the AG contract

I've been following this website for a while now but just now got around to creating a profile. I DEP'd in in March. My current ship date is January 11 but my recruiter is trying to send me in November or January. The GYSGT at my RSS suggested that I look into the Crew Chief MOS. I did and it looks like something I would love to do. I was wondering, is the AG contract the way to go for that MOS field and what can I expect out of that MOS? Thanks for your time Marines and all answers are welcome.

Similar Threads:

Yes, crew chief falls under AG contract. As to what you'll expect, I know that you'll attend a few schools, the training is very long, and a lot of the training will depend on what air frame you get assigned to.

Here are the specific MOS' under AG:

6172 - CH-46 Crew Chief
    6173 - CH-53E Crew Chief
    6174 - AH/UH-1 Crew Chief
    6176 - V-22 Crew Chief
    6276 - C130 Crew Chief
    7382 - C130 Loadmaster

Edit: I'm not sure if CH 46 crew chief still applies since I believe we phased that aircraft out.

Also, here's something I found specific to CH-53 Crew Chief training: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...-to-Crew-Chief

Doesn't really answer your question but does pertain to aviation.

This fiscal year (started on Oct 1st), the USMC is offering reenlistment bonuses in these aviation MOS's:

6176 Tiltrotor (V-22 Osprey) crew chief $16,250 E3 $18,500 E4 $20,500 E5

6116 Tiltrotor (V-22 Osprey) mechanic $12,000 E3 $14,000 E4 $15,000 E5

6218 F-35B mechanic $12,000 E3 $14,000 E4 $15,000 E5

6288 F-35B safety equipment mechanic $12,000 E3 $14,000 E4 $15,000 E5

This means, these aviation MOS's are undermanned this year so the bonuses are offered as an incentive to keep Marines from getting out, and, making a lateral move into these MOS's. The list of bonuses changes every fiscal year, depending on the needs of the Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by pooleeandrews View Post
    I was wondering, is the AG contract the way to go for that MOS field and what can I expect out of that MOS? Thanks for your time Marines and all answers are welcome.
    In regards to your questions:
    -Someone answered the AG question already.
    -You can expect a long training time (multiple "school houses"), a lot of responsibility in the fleet, and long days

To explain a little bit about the process:
    After completing Recruit Training and MCT you'll go to Pensacola for NACCS (Naval Aircrew Candidate School) where you will be screened medically and physically (there's a lot of swimming involved). After you complete the school you will have the ability to request a platform: Huey, V-22 Osprey , CH-53, or C-130. The Marine Corps will put you where they need you. Until that point you have a general Aviation MOS stating that you are slated for Aircrew. From there you'll go to other schools where they'll teach you about your job and you'll eventually get your Wings.

It's worth it if you want it. You can DOR (drop on request) out of training at anytime, which means that it can be tempting when times get tough or situations get stupid to just quit. (If you do that you'll be put into an MOS based upon the needs of the Marine Corps.)
    Anyways, I hope I helped clear some things up. I'm a 6176 - Tiltrotor Aircrew and if you have any questions you can send me a message.

@Tyger Falcon: you going to get one of those big reenlistment bonuses when your time comes or punch out for a civilian job?

My best friend was a helicopter engine repairman and had a job with Hughes helicopters in Fort Worth, TX waiting for him when he got out.

I still have over two years left in my contract. I'm still undecided on whether I want to reenlist or get out and use the GI Bill to finish my education or work for somebody like Bell-Boeing. Just recently at my squadron we had a crew chief and a mechanic re-up. I'm wondering if they saw any of that bonus money...

2 things you really need to know for this MOS:
    1: I hope you can swim like a fish, because the 3 weeks you spend in Pcola is some of the hardest pt I have ever encountered
    2: I hope if you plan on being a door gunner or anything other than being a C130 loadmaster/crew chief you have 20/20 vision. That's something I was never told

Thread Information