Color blindness and getting the infantry MOS
Create Post

Color blindness and getting the infantry MOS

Hello, my name is Christian. So I've been working to get into the Marines for a while now. I actually tried to enlist I think in 2013 when I was just turning 20. I got to MEPS and got dq'd for a separated shoulder that happened in 2011 but, when I was there I found out I was red/green color deficient because I failed the tests. Fast forward to now and an OSO has been working with me and they want to put me up for the November board to get selected for PLC. The OSO is scheduling a date to go to MEPS and I just remembered about the color blindness tests. I don't think the stuff from the last time I tried to enlist is on file because I had to redo all that stuff with him and the DQ because of the shoulder separation wasn't in the file with the records from the first time I went to MEPS. I'm most likely going to fail the color blindness test again so what I wanted to know was if I would be able to be an Infantry officer or some sort of officer for a ground combat position with my color deficiency? If I were to simply enlist, would I be able to get an Infantry MOS or any other combat MOS with my "Color Blindness"?

Similar Threads:

e. Color vision(363.5).Although there is no standard,color
    vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a prerequisite for entry into many military specialties. However,
    for entrance in to a military academy or ROTC or OCS/OTS programs,the inability to distinguish and indentify without confusion the color of an object,substance,material,or light
    that is uniformly colored a vivid red or vivid green is disqualifying.

^^^^ This means that you cannot become an officer. Red/green deficiency disqualifies you from commissioning programs.

This info is available here
    :
    Department of Defense(DOD)Directive 6130.3,Physical standards for Appointment,Enlistment,and Induction,and DOD Instruction 6130.4 Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment,Enlistment,or Induction in the Armed Forces.

I believe you can enlist into an infantry MOS being red/green deficient, but I'm not positive. You might want to ask a recruiter about that.

Thread Information