Insight on making the Infantry a career
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Insight on making the Infantry a career

Good morning Marines,

I was was looking to get some insight on some jobs as far as making it a career. I am currently a poolee in Tulsa(when I joined the site I was a friend or free member I don't know how to change it to poolee if someone could help me with that to it would be much appreciated). I currently have an infantry contract. Is there anyone here who has made the infantry a career? If so, could you provide insight on what it's like if you stay in and how it is later on in your career in the more senior ranks? I know I haven't even made it through my first 4 but as far as being a poolee I love it and I don't believe I will hate it when I'm in. If I like it I would like to make it a career. Thank you for your input and help in advance.

Also if there is another thread on this I apologize I'm doing this on my phone it's not easy to navigate.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Just 2 quick things---first, only ADMIN can change status from friend to poolee or poolee to Marine. There are 22 squad leaders, only four or so are active. They have no power to change status in a profile, just admin, and they are extremely hard to get ahold of here. So just bide your time----second, I think it's a shame that nowadays you cannot just stay in for 20 because you want to. You have to be selected to stay in, so no one can plan on doing 20 years in the Corps. In my day, if you had no issues or problems, it was automatic. They always needed people, you could "ship over" and stay in for 20, in fact they would even offer you a big bonus if you had a critical MOS. But those days of automatically reenlisting are gone, and it is a sorry state where you have good people who are forced out when their time is up. But as the country goes, so goes the Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    That's honestly very sad to hear. I was really looking forward to the possibility. I did not know that and am now glad I do. Thank you for your input.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Well, the possibility, as you said, is still there. PM the following active duty people in case they don't wander in here, plus 2 other knowledgeable people who are retired.
    josephd, munkyvsrobot, LCPL1341. PM them and ask them to take a look at this thread. Same with Tennessee Top and kegler300

Credits
    Savings
    Will do thank you sir

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You're welcome. And if my assessment of the situation is not correct, they'll let me know. Don't take my word for this stuff, having been in 50 years ago! Just based on what I've seen and heard here, basically. I could be wrong, of course.

Also, your question is a good one.

If you want to make the Infantry a career, you better have good knees, and a strong back.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Just 2 quick things---first, only ADMIN can change status from friend to poolee or poolee to Marine. There are 22 squad leaders, only four or so are active. They have no power to change status in a profile, just admin, and they are extremely hard to get ahold of here. So just bide your time----second, I think it's a shame that nowadays you cannot just stay in for 20 because you want to. You have to be selected to stay in, so no one can plan on doing 20 years in the Corps. In my day, if you had no issues or problems, it was automatic. They always needed people, you could "ship over" and stay in for 20, in fact they would even offer you a big bonus if you had a critical MOS. But those days of automatically reenlisting are gone, and it is a sorry state where you have good people who are forced out when their time is up. But as the country goes, so goes the Corps.
    My thoughts on being able to re-enlist are these, and I too am a product of having been out of the Corps since 1969.
    I was offered another stripe; a change of MOS if I wanted it(but they were hoping you didn't); change of duty station, and a bonus. I elected to leave and did. Several times I looked back and wished I had shipped over, and even today often wonder what I would have achieved, had I stayed in the Corps. Even then not every one had the choice of shipping over.

I have no problems with what the Corps does in terms of shipping over today. If the person was qualified, they would have no problem staying in the Corps. However, if all they are doing was taking up space; then they need to be let go instead of taking up the space until they can retire.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    In our day we could plan on 20. I don't think that's the case these days.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    it is possible to make a career in the infantry, just understand that you will not necessarily be in a line/victor unit the whole time. you will have to spend some time at certain ranks doing b-billets, operations planning, and other stuff away from doing all the cool stuff you think infantry Marines do.

in order to be a "career" Marine also, you'll need to be eligible for reenlistment and promotion with your MOS/field. alot of infantry guys never get to that point because promotions are difficult and billets(jobs per your rank) aren't available

there are alot of things that need to fall into place...how about you worry about graduating boot camp and getting through your first enlistment

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Joe, he said he wants to make it a career. In other words, can he PLAN on doing that, given that he behaves himself etc etc. My response was that staying in is not automatic or virtually automatic like it once was. Of course 100% of Marines were not 100% eligible to stay in. I referred to the general rule, which was, yes, if you want to stay in for 20 or 30, fine. Nowadays, if I'm not mistaken, it is harder to stay in for that length of time just because you want to.

Kid hasnt even done day one let alone his first contract. Why dont you try to make it to the end of your first contract before you start planning out the next 20 years. You may hte it, you may be unable to re-enlist, hell you could be dead. All are possibilities.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyvsrobot View Post
    hell you could be dead
    lololololol

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    i think it was just a question, like, hey, I want to be an accountant, is it a job where I could stay with some company for a career, or are accountants asked to leave after x years. Even though the kid asking the question right now cant add two plus two, it is still a legit q question being: can I plan on this or that, not what w happen

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marine1011 View Post
    i think it was just a question, like, hey, I want to be an accountant, is it a job where I could stay with some company for a career
    it's not as easy as just putting in your time and "making tenure" like at a company being an accountant or whatever though....I get that its just a question and good on you OP for asking it but there are so so many factors that play into promotions/reenlistments, especially after picking up Sgt(which could take you 2 enlistments).

Thread Information