Can I wear my dress blues as a USMC veteran at an authorized event?
Create Post

Can I wear my dress blues as a USMC veteran at an authorized event?

For the record , I have never put the uniform on since being discharged and was curious as to this policy. I'm a little confused in regards to if I can wear my Dress blues for an authorized event obviously. I served 8 years in the Usmc Reserves, 1989-1997, 6 years active reserves and 2 Years IRR. I actually did 9 months initial active duty between boot camp, MCT and MOS school. I received the national defense medal and was honorably discharged. I was not deployed or activated during my service, however I was an active drilling reservist and was honorably discharged in 1997 after completing my 8 year obligation. Can I wear them for an authorized event? I am still in good shape and can wear it well in my opinion per USMC standards of course. Not sure what the definition of "served during a declared or undeclared war" actually means. I was an active drilling reservists during the Gulf War. Thanks for the help Devil Dogs and Semper Fi!!!

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    technically no, i dont think you can as i think you had to of actually served time on active duty orders overseas on deployment/through a campaign..??.....

i am not trying to knock your service in the reserves at all(i am a reservist myself) or that you want to wear your blues....but if all you would rate is a national defense medal and the selected marine reserve medal, whats the point??

all that said...if they still fit properly, know how to where it properly, and can get a haircut and shave to be in standards I would tell you to just go ahead and where it...just don't give any current guys like me or any retired guys a reason to call you out

Thanks for your opinion bud, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get some more point of views on this topic. In relation to what you stated above, so you think that there is no point in wearing the Blues if you don't have a lot of medals?

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Medals and ribbons have nothing to due with you wearing your dress blues to an authorized event, EX; Marine Corps Ball, etc.

You rate those medals so you wear them on your dress blues. Don't forget your GCM.

Semper Fi

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noladevildog View Post
    so you think that there is no point in wearing the Blues if you don't have a lot of medals?
    yes, that is just my opinion though

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Medals and ribbons have nothing to due with you wearing your dress blues to an authorized event, EX; Marine Corps Ball, etc.

You rate those medals so you wear them on your dress blues. Don't forget your GCM.

Semper Fi
    doesn't rate a GCM as a reservist

Thanks Devil Dogs, according to this information I uncovered, I am good to go. I definitely meet the criteria below.

Retiree/Reservist Wear of Uniforms.

As a Retiree/Reservist you may wear the uniform for basically any event that you wore the uniform while on active duty.
    As a former Marine there are some restrictions:
    You must have served during a time of war (i.e. earned the National Defense Medal during your time in service) and received an honorable discharge to wear the uniform.
    Events you are restricted to wearing it to:
    Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United States military unit are taking part. ‘Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.’
    Recipients of the Medal of Honor may wear the Marine Corps uniforms at their pleasure except for those specific occasions listed in paragraph 11002 of the Uniform Regulations

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    doesn't rate a GCM as a reservist

I actually did 9 months initial active duty between boot camp, MCT and MOS school.

That doesn't count for anything anymore ?

Good to know. Keep your nose clean for 8 years and nothing. Time to change that MCO. I'm on it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    I actually did 9 months initial active duty between boot camp, MCT and MOS school.

That doesn't count for anything anymore ?

Good to know. Keep your nose clean for 8 years and nothing. Time to change that MCO. I'm on it.

Reservist's get the reserve side equivalent, Selected Marine Reserve medal

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Good to know. I never knew a reservist except you and you have a lot of knowledge Brother.

Hopefully this changes, but the biggie is the 'served during a declared conflict' thing. I managed to serve in one of the only windows of time that does not qualify. 76 to 80 does not. Had I been a little older and enlisted during 75, I would have been in during Viet Nam and would have been allowed to wear Blues to the ball. Does make one feel like a red-headed step child.

I say where it Rick, you earned it Devil Dog!!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChace View Post
    Hopefully this changes, but the biggie is the 'served during a declared conflict' thing. I managed to serve in one of the only windows of time that does not qualify. 76 to 80 does not. Had I been a little older and enlisted during 75, I would have been in during Viet Nam and would have been allowed to wear Blues to the ball. Does make one feel like a red-headed step child.

I served during that time period on active duty and went to 2 Marine Corps Balls in Dress Blues. 1977 I was in Pensacola and took the CO's daughter to the ball.

When did that change to had to " Serve during a declared conflict " ?

Marine Corps uniform regulation MCOP1020.34G.now what in the f@#k is an undeclared war.

Thread Information