Do any of you look like a stoner?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Do any of you look like a stoner?

I know this is a rather odd question to ask, but do or did any of you ever look like a stoner? I ask because, obviously, I do, but I've never taken or even seen an illegal drug. This creates a lot of problems for me as I keep getting type-casted as a stoner, thus making a lot of people constantly suspicious of me and, to be honest, it gets tiring really fast.

When I went to MEPS, one of the liaison's literally said, "Why is it that everyone from [MY AREA] always looks like they're stoned." He then kept playing weird mind games with me, obviously trying to get me to confess to something.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, did it get better once you actually earned your eagle, globe, and anchor?

Similar Threads:

Well the question I would as you is: Do you look or act like a Stoner? If so, it would be a perfectly reasonable thing to ask in my opinion. There's got to be a reason for him to ask you that question. They'll find out anyway.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Well the question I would as you is: Do you look or act like a Stoner? If so, it would be a perfectly reasonable thing to ask in my opinion. There's got to be a reason for him to ask you that question. They'll find out anyway.
    I've been told sometimes I can sound like one, but I never act like one. I always treat those over me with respect and fully understand that there's a reason for it and him asking me that, but I'm just saying it can get a little annoying is all.

Was just wondering if anyone else here had a similar experience.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Nick, instead of asking if anyone looks like a stoner, find out why folks say YOU do. Ask family, friends, and anyone else who comments along those lines--ask them why they say that, in detail. Find out what it is EXACTLY that gives them that unfounded impression.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but people do it daily. Everyone does it. Your efforts would yield results if you kept a list of those things that "tell" people you're a stoner, then see if you can modify any of it.

You can't change yourself, we know that. Fine. But you can modify certain things that may be triggering this impression in people's minds. Be yourself, but this misconception has already caused you problems. Rather than deal with it in an academic way, like, hey, just curious if anyone else had this problem----go after the solution by writing down the info people give you, the feedback.

Get feedback from them, write down these things, see if some of the things can or cannot be changed. Your looks can't be changed, but maybe it's other things, and those things can be changed, the way you come across, mannerisms and so forth---good luck to you. Conduct this research, it's all that's gonna help you. Maybe update us here on this same thread?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Just to add one thing, or emphasize one thing---people say, and they may say it here, who cares what others think? But the point is, that what others think has in fact caused you problems. It's not that you have to change for them, it's that you might possibly be able to modify certain things if you know about them, hence you have to find out exactly, in detail, what's creating this impression.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Now THAT will create the impression.

I'm hoping that is not a picture of Trust, our OP here.

Just kidding, Trust....hang in there and get to the bottom of things, don't just sit around wondering what's going on or who else has this problem or issue.

Maybe OP you should try getting a hair cut or taking a bath the only time ive ever been confused for a stoner is when ive been a stoner. Or maybe you should try to stop asking such stupid questions and not smoking pot. A lot of steriotypes have truth to them.

I do. I am not sure why either.

Attached Images Attached Images

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No I don't

I would suggest getting a clean haircut, fresh shave, and a decent outfit(polo shirt and pants that fit). You'd be surprised by how well can turn around peoples opinions

Yes. Happened to me in highschool (1971). Had shoulder-length hair, long sideburns, and wore John Lennon (round) wire-rimmed glasses along with bell-bottomed jeans and tie-died t-shirts. If you looked up "hippie" in the dictionary, they would've had my photo there. But, I never smoked (tobacco nor weed), did drugs, nor drank alcohol. Just liked the look which was very popular then. I did end up getting a haircut as I made the varsity baseball team and our coach wanted everybody to look clean-cut. So, by the time I talked to my recruiter later, my appearance was not an issue.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Groovy thread lol...

Pictures or it didn't happen. Can I get a second on the pic request?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Yes. Happened to me in highschool (1971). Had shoulder-length hair, long sideburns, and wore John Lennon (round) wire-rimmed glasses along with bell-bottomed jeans and tie-died t-shirts. If you looked up "hippie" in the dictionary, they would've had my photo there.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I'll second that !!! LOL

Thread Information